Search the forum,

Discuss Cylinder thermostat stops CH coming on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tdlynn

Hi There,

Quick question.

We have a pretty standard system at home with a boiler downstairs, cylinder in airing cupboard which provides hot water for CH and HW.

However, when the water in the cylinder has heated up sufficiently to cause the thermostat to kick in, it stops the CH pump and therefore stops the house from being heated.

If I turn the cylinder thermostat up, the pump kicks in and the boiler turns on and starts heating the radiators.

What is the problem?

My guess is the three way port, although this was only changed a year ago as it was fault before.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Tom

Could be the micro switch on the cylinder thermostat sticking and not sending power to moitorised valve,turning to heating only when hot water satisfied

Has the 3 way valve been fitted the right way around ? A to heating B to cylinder

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I went back to have another look at it and followed another post on here about a testing procedure to work out what was going wrong with the three way valve.

This didn't seem to show me much apart from the actual valve was working fine.

Then I noticed that one of microswitches was slightly bent back and when the actuator was being moved round, it would activate one microswitch but not the other one. When I'd press the second microswitch with a screwdriver, the CH would start. So I bent the switch out a bit so that they would both be activated and it seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks for the feedback.. hopefully this may help someone else with the same problem.

All the best

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cylinder thermostat stops CH coming on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced annually, October time) providing hot water to the CH system which is split into 3 zones (Honeywell 2-way valves) and it also heats the HW tank (Tribune...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I've just had a new radiator installed and it comes on with the heating as expected but then also came on when the hot water came on without the heating. Ours is a system boiler worcester greenstar 30cdi with an unvented cylinder. The new radiator has been hung in the w/c on the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Hi, hope someone can help with this. My central heating system has a Worcester gas combi boiler, paired with a nest thermostat and a megaflo cylinder. When the boiler starts in the morning, the radiators start to warm up ok, but this is accompanied by a loud whining of the pipes attached to the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock