Search the forum,

Discuss Cylinder pipe work to digital shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

The Mrs bought me a digital shower (Mira Platinum- Gravity Fed) for my birthday. Obviously it was for her really.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mira-...rmostatic-wireless-digital-mixer-shower/260hr

The problem is we live out in sticks in a very remote area and it's hard to get tradesman to come to our home for anything like a reasonable amount.

When I left school (a long time ago) I started work as an apprentice plumber which only lasted a few months. So I usually do all the small plumbing jobs myself as I have a few more skills than the average DIYer.

After watching YouTube videos on how to install this digital shower I have decided to have a go myself. It seems quite straight forward, for our Gravity Fed system anyway.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated concerning

1. I think soldered fittings may not be a good idea as the pipes are painted in some sort of thick aluminium type paint. After removing this I think compression fittings would be safer option.

2. My biggest concern from the instructions is the Hot Feed from the Hot Water Cylinder to the Digital Mixer valve. Looking at the instructions (attached) the feed requires a 30-60 degree air separation. I assume to avoid air bubbles going to the shower. My cylinder has no Surrey Flange fitted and I don't fancy fitting one either as it is an old cylinder and I think if I try to fit one I will damage it and need to replace it.

I have attached a picture of the current pipe layout from the cylinder with the Hot water pipes highlighted

I have also attached a picture of the changes I think I need to the pipes. The black pipe will be removed and the red/yellow added. Would this layout prevent the air getting to the mixer valve?

Thanks for reading help, advice and even criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• instructions.jpg
    instructions.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 15
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 16
If it was me i'd be fitting one of these. Don't think you can do any damage?

Also have you considered whether your cold water storage is big enough for a pumped shower?

If it was me i'd be fitting one of these. Don't think you can do any damage?

Also have you considered whether your cold water storage is big enough for a pumped shower?

Thanks Mr Chop LOL

I have tried the nut on the top of the cylinder and it seems really tight. I am worried about forcing it too much and damaging the cylinder. Then I would have to try and get a plumber to our place to change the cylunder. It could turn into a can of worms.

I am not sure about the cold water storage tank. I was thinking of fitting another ball float valve so it fills quicker. However there is only me and the Mrs and we only take short showers. The good thing about this shower is it has an Eco mode anyway so would probably just leave it on that all the time.

Thanks again

The Mrs bought me a digital shower (Mira Platinum- Gravity Fed) for my birthday. Obviously it was for her really.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mira-...rmostatic-wireless-digital-mixer-shower/260hr

The problem is we live out in sticks in a very remote area and it's hard to get tradesman to come to our home for anything like a reasonable amount.

When I left school (a long time ago) I started work as an apprentice plumber which only lasted a few months. So I usually do all the small plumbing jobs myself as I have a few more skills than the average DIYer.

After watching YouTube videos on how to install this digital shower I have decided to have a go myself. It seems quite straight forward, for our Gravity Fed system anyway.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated concerning

1. I think soldered fittings may not be a good idea as the pipes are painted in some sort of thick aluminium type paint. After removing this I think compression fittings would be safer option.

2. My biggest concern from the instructions is the Hot Feed from the Hot Water Cylinder to the Digital Mixer valve. Looking at the instructions (attached) the feed requires a 30-60 degree air separation. I assume to avoid air bubbles going to the shower. My cylinder has no Surrey Flange fitted and I don't fancy fitting one either as it is an old cylinder and I think if I try to fit one I will damage it and need to replace it.

I have attached a picture of the current pipe layout from the cylinder with the Hot water pipes highlighted

I have also attached a picture of the changes I think I need to the pipes. The black pipe will be removed and the red/yellow added. Would this layout prevent the air getting to the mixer valve?

Thanks for reading help, advice and even criticism would be greatly appreciated.
So I have tried again to remove the pipe from the cylinder and it is not budging at all. It would be ideal and much easier if I could fit a Surrey Flange but if I try using more force I will render the cylinder useless and end up without hot water for weeks while trying to find a plumber. So looking at the Mira instructions would the following pipe work alterations suffice?

Attachments

• after - Copy.jpg
    after - Copy.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 11
That looks like a tapered cylinder union chances are you will never move it with brute force.
Few sharp taps on nut with a hammer required!
We always install this unit via a flange.

Reply to Cylinder pipe work to digital shower in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock