Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting on a fropen central heating pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

P

Paul first timer

Hi, looking for advise about freezing a pipe on the central heating system. I’m adding a new radiator to the system in another room and thought that a good way would be to freeze the pipe where I need to take off and return to the other pipe. I will be using push fit joints. My question is if I freeze the pipe can I cut it half way in the frozen area or would I have to freeze two different places and cut between them. Hope that you can point me in the right direction. Cheers Paul.

If you want to go down the freezing route I would recommend freezing either side of the area you want to cut.

Before starting make sure that any circulation pumps/boilers are not running and allow the system sufficient time to cool to speed up the freezing process as well as reduce any potential scalding risk if exposed to the water/pipework.

Ideally, if there is suitable isolation valves on the system or existing radiators preferably utilise these to isolate legs etc. instead. If you can get away with draining a small section of pipework, it's probably the easier option.

Make sure suitable PPE is worn when it comes to potential contact with any existing inhibitors/biocides in the LTHW system and make sure they are topped back up afterwards to suitable ppm levels if chemical has been dropped or the system total litre size has been expanded through pipework modification.

Personally I'd advise draining to carry out the work, fit the new rad run pipework back to where you intend to connect into the system leaving only the connection to do, isolate electrically drain the system place a heavy duty black bag under the pipe to catch any water left in the pipework cut into the pipework fit tees, connect supply pipes refill and flush the system add fresh inhibitor once your confident you have no leakage vent and carry out a heat test . Kop

Reply to Cutting on a fropen central heating pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock