Search the forum,

Discuss Customers Neighbour. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marples

My supervisor had me knocking out the cement round a flue this morning around 09:00-09:30. As i was chiselling away at the cement, the next door neighbour popper her head out of the window saying; "I wondered what the :nono: that was, can you not do that as i my son is in bed and is only a year old and his bedroom is not too far from from you"
I've never had someone complain to me and being an apprentice i didn't know what to say so i came out with "I'm sorry but there is nothing i can do, this job needs to be done"
then she says "you :nono::nono:head" and slams window shut.

Anyone had a problem like this or know of the best solution?
the job had to be done there and then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had it loads of times, a man has to work. I have offered them the tools before and asked them to do it quieter if they can then carried on. The shoe may be on the other foot one day

what your boss say?. i wouldn't worry about it. you will get people like that sounds like you tried to be polite about it.
am not sure i would have tolerated being called that off her tough.i was bit like you as apprentice always trying my best letting things slide cos i wanted to see it through and get my qualifications. don't let people take liberties pal

As long as the noise is reasonable hours say 07.30 to 18.30 and not all day long, it's not unreasonable.

If it's a party wall it would be polite to let neighbours know, in the form "Just to let you know I WILL be making a noise"
Not "Can I make a noise"

But if the neighbours are :nono: :nono:heads anyway then ignore them.

If he approached it differently then I could look to do something else first, but sometimes you have no choice and as said if it is a reasonable hour then go ahead

As long as the noise is reasonable hours say 07.30 to 18.30 and not all day long, it's not unreasonable.

If it's a party wall it would be polite to let neighbours know, in the form "Just to let you know I WILL be making a noise"
Not "Can I make a noise"

But if the neighbours are :nono: :nono:heads anyway then ignore them.

If it is a party wall you cannot carry out any work at all on it technically without a party wall agreement ?
Most neighbours actually speak to each other so not always a problem but have had some where neighbours are at war that is always fun !

I think I would have found something like an old brick I could drill for an hour lol

Had similar problems working on my sisters old house the crazy woman ran up behind my dad and shoved him while he was using a breaker (so he couldnt hear ) My dad is 75, this was the last problem we had with them as one of the other neighbours across the road had cctv recording it so it all went to court and i think she had to pay costs of £20 (She is a council tenant) though they all seem to afford drugs and stuff.
Previous to this she was throwing bottles of water at my sister while she was holding a baby, and hitting the fence with a club hammer shouting aloud of :nono:
Like already said as long as its normal working hours etc . You could give notice to be considerate

People like that do my head in. What was she expecting you to do? Do the work another day? Would have got the SDS out and started drilling too!

To be fair I had the same thing a year or so back. The old boy next door would cut his grass every Sunday morning at 7.30am. He's had all week to cut the frigging grass but he chooses 7.30 on a Sunday. I'd asked him a couple of times, we'd laughed about it on the driveway once or twice but one warm September morning I snapped. I lent out of my window stark b0llock naked and told him I'd shove the mower up his ring piece if he didn't switch it off. Never had a problem again. We moved 6 weeks later.

After 9am is what I'd call reasonable.
Here's one I found interesting, thou nowt to do with the OP: In Germany, it's against the law to mow your lawn on a Sunday.

After 9am is what I'd call reasonable.
Here's one I found interesting, thou nowt to do with the OP: In Germany, it's against the law to mow your lawn on a Sunday.

It's all about the timing drippy!

I had a punch up years ago with a bunch of tennants over a heat pack , 3 of us vs a a tenant and her family and friends full on brawling in in someone else's front garden.

Old bill turned up in meat wagons arrested the tennants, council liaison officers arrived to calm down the tennant whose house we were half way through with a pack .

seen it all over the years so someone yelling out the window is just in one ear out the other

To be fair I had the same thing a year or so back. The old boy next door would cut his grass every Sunday morning at 7.30am. He's had all week to cut the frigging grass but he chooses 7.30 on a Sunday. I'd asked him a couple of times, we'd laughed about it on the driveway once or twice but one warm September morning I snapped. I lent out of my window stark b0llock naked and told him I'd shove the mower up his ring piece if he didn't switch it off. Never had a problem again. We moved 6 weeks later.

My next door neighbour used to do that. Not at 7.30 but 9.00 which to me on a Sunday is still too early when you work 6 days a week and this bloke was on the dole so could of done it Monday to Friday. To get him back I used to get him back by parking my van outside his house and starting it up and leaving it running with music full pelt for 5 minutes every morning. He did complain so I said about mowing the lawn a bit later in the day or during the week.

My favourite though was tenants that didn't work and I used to turn up at 8am and they used to say come back after 12 as we're sleeping in the afternoon they would phone up asking what time I was coming round to fix there heating to be told it's gone down as a refused access so we can rebook it for another day.

I've had customers cancel their slot as the eta was pre lunch time and would rather lounge around in bed than have the boiler fixed......... Crazy lol

Interesting though these stories are, no swearing!

I've had to edit 4 posts now, next one's an infraction.

someones tired....

Someone's put the UKPF twitter account on his phone because 'it'll be a laugh, lads' and now can't work out how to log out of it to stop the annoying notifications every few minutes!

And to think I thought you were irritating!

Someone's put the UKPF twitter account on his phone because 'it'll be a laugh, lads' and now can't work out how to log out of it to stop the annoying notifications every few minutes!

And to think I thought you were irritating!

#plonker

How long does she want you to wait until her one year wont be disturbed by the noise? Until hes grown up and moved out??

It's all about the timing drippy!

Couldn't agree more.
Had the leccy guys out front of my house this morning, 4 knocking the crap out of the pavement and 4 sparks in vans waiting on the first four exposing the cables or whatever. It was freezing cold.
I shouted " Anyone want a cup of tea or coffee."...worked stopped and van doors opened.
Lucky I had 8 mugs.
Oh and they all had tea: 7 with one sugar and the other with two sugars.
My apologies to all forum members for dosing 4 sparks with a nice mug of Yorkshire Tea. In my defence, the 4 road diggers badly needed a cuppa.

Last edited:
Interesting though these stories are, no swearing!

I've had to edit 4 posts now, next one's an infraction.
So it is ok to call paying clients or customers custards ?
Still working this one out as to me that is so insulting ?

got paid cash today for a big extension, as the owner handed it over, he mentioned I'd cleared him out so the sparkie would have to wait until next week, gave the sparks a cheery wave as I left :)

Well call me old fashioned but had I caught any of my guys talking about customers or clients as we called them in this way they would be looking for another job ?
They pay you as much as some seem to think they are a pain and at times yes they are but in effect they are your boss ?

They're clients. Not the boss.

And sounding off on an Internet forum is completely different to sounding off in in the property.

Well call me old fashioned but had I caught any of my guys talking about customers or clients as we called them in this way they would be looking for another job ?
They pay you as much as some seem to think they are a pain and at times yes they are but in effect they are your boss ?

Haha my boss is sitting on the sofa next to me. Customers are a means to an end.

got paid cash today for a big extension, as the owner handed it over, he mentioned I'd cleared him out so the sparkie would have to wait until next week, gave the sparks a cheery wave as I left :)
Well I think I have seen it all now ?
You really want to advertise on an open forum that you do cash work ?
Do you really think that the HMRC are that stupid ?
They have access to your store loyalty cards so I am sure they read forums too ?
Up tp you but not sure I would be posting that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Customers Neighbour. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock