Search the forum,

Discuss Customer wants options on upgrade in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Evening all, I have a customer that is looking to upgrade their current system. Typically I gave them a wealth of installation options last time but they didn’t think they’d change too much.

5 years down the line now they find themselves with an old old boiler that is in need of upgrade and a 5year old unvented cylinder that works perfectly.

When we installed the cylinder we offered the option of twin coil as the cust was toying with solar to subsidise water heating.

They of course went for the cheaper option and now find themselves needing a new boiler and are now wanting to seriously look at solar.

What options do I have here. I’m not a renewables expert and would definitely bring in someone for the solar panels but as I see it, as it stands they will need to also upgrade their cylinder to accomodate a twin heat source.

Are there any clever ways to use solar to subsidise the actual heat produced by the boiler or is that just being stupid??

All I can see as an option here is super efficient boiler, likely economiser and upgrading the cylinder appropriately. Then getting a renewables Co to do their bit. Any options I’ve blindingly missed.

Before anyone says it cust wants new gas boiler rather than alternative main heat source.

Thoughts welcome

Tbh I would push them down pv solar side less maintenance and they can use the excess power for battery or theee needs

Cheers Tell me more Shaun, need to let them know some thoughts. What practical use could the batteries have? Are we just talking EVs or similar or is it just power back to the grid?

Solar thermal evacuated tubes are probably the most efficient out of the lot. Whilst it’s true PV will supply power all year round they are not as efficient as the above mentioned. Does the customer want free electricity or hot water?

This is the question I need to ask then. Could the house conceivably have both? It’s a large property

Solar thermal evacuated tubes are probably the most efficient out of the lot. Whilst it’s true PV will supply power all year round they are not as efficient as the above mentioned. Does the customer want free electricity or hot water?

You can use the free elec to heat the how water via an immersion

Cheers Tell me more Shaun, need to let them know some thoughts. What practical use could the batteries have? Are we just talking EVs or similar or is it just power back to the grid?

Yes or via immersion

Yes with a pv system depending on space you might be able to get a decent set of panels on the roof

I’m removing a few water solar system this year tubes have blown and systems arnt doing what the owners want etc

Had ours from 2017 saved 12 tons of carbon from elec production and added 33 trees

If it was straight back to the grid around 3k would of been paid on a 3 kw system

Total yield over that time 11.95 mwh

And upto 81kwh this year

Last edited:
Big selling point I think on a decent installer system is no maintenance other than washing the panels twice a year which is easy or most window cleaners do it now

So could we conceivably Have both??
You'd need to do your costing and ROI calculations quite carefully in this case. Two half-sized systems are going to be more costly to install and maintain than one full sized one.

My preference, for what it's worth, is for PV. The flaw with water-solar is that they produce loads of hot water in the summer when you need it least. Electricity, on the other hand, is useful all year round.

The other option would be thermodynamics to heat the hot water and PV to back it up and produce electricity to run the system it can have battery backup? or feed back into the grid for payback plenty of info on YouTube. Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220204-051223.png
    Screenshot_20220204-051223.png
    325.8 KB · Views: 8
Thank you all some really interesting ideas to put back to my cust. Can always rely on you lot

Reply to Customer wants options on upgrade in the Renewables area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We're looking to update our existing central heating setup and wanted to get a few more opinions. We currently have an open vented conventional boiler with cold water expansion tank in attic and indirect vented hot water cylinder. Initially we thought we would just swap to a combi...
Replies
Views
We are building a new 2 bed bungalow and looking at Heating / Hot water options. Although Gas is available we are keen to not have it connected but we will be having a large solar system installed as we have a long South facing roof. Our house that we are moving from has Air con installed in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, sorry about the long post but a novice here looking for some advice... I've just bought a 12 bedroom private house with 3 bathrooms that we're turning into a guesthouse. The property was built in the 1970's or so and has an oil fired boiler with a standard copper cylinder. As far as I...
Replies
Views
Afternoon all, I have a customer with a heavily extended semi which now has 4 beds, 2 bathroom and 5 reception rooms. They have started working from home and want to zone the heating system, unfortunately the system boiler and cylinder is in the garage with 2 x 22mm primary pipes disappearing...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock