Search the forum,

Discuss Currently in an apprenticeship but been laid off, what are my options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JD89

Hey people just had a call off my boss who's told me he's had to lay me off due to a down turn in work. I'm currently undergoing my NVQ level 2 and all I need is a few more assessments and I will have completed it.

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation to mine and what did the college do about it?

Thanks.

If its a genuine government supported apprenticeship I thought they were obliged to find you a new placement.

If its a course Other than that or you doing a course on your jack jones. Then start paddling

Decision time, find somewhere else or offer to work at a reduced rate to get qualified, not ideal but its an option

Hopefully the apprentice scheme body will try all the other companies on their books to see if they can sort a place, but in the mean time contact every company yourself be polite and ask if it would be possible if they could assist you finishing you are still
Allowed to attend college weeks while looking for a new employer so keep at it and be positive

Think you will be fine and the college will help you out, best of ringing the most prestigious company in your area and doing your best to get on with them. I done my apprenticeship for the most prestigious company in my area that had been going for over 85 years and it was always known that if you done your time for Greenlands you came from good stock, and when I flew the roost after 8 years there never struggled since to get a job.

When i was at college the college did nothing.... Basically it was up to you to find employment for your apprenticeship. They gave lads a deadline of 2 weeks to find employment, if you didnt have it, regardless of where you are on your NVQ you were kicked off.

Plumbing is hard for employment. However working for free/little as a apprentice and doing majority of work is how i got through my apprenticeship. I dont owe anyone, as ive worked with alot of bad and some good where i picked off their skills and learnt by myself which alot of plumbers i know have done the same

Good luck!!!

My apprenticeship is currently funded by the government so I'm guessing that's a good thing. I'm going to phone my advisor tomorrow and see where I stand.

Wouldn't be a bad thing if I was to go back into full time work for now just to get some money in which I can use to pay for some good tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Currently in an apprenticeship but been laid off, what are my options? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been doing my level 2 plumbing qualification for over 4 years now due to covid etc. I am now at a point where i will be sending my NVQ pack off and completing my practical for my NVQ. I am waiting on a plumber to to send me his documents to send off. I am worried about the practical and...
Replies
Views
Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The issue is quite simple to repair not sure why any one of the 2 plumbers could not fix it. Why am I paying for cover. The auto air vents in part of the...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This line of work means I have on average 6+ months off a year, im thinking of training to become a domestic gas engineer in my time off to earn a bit extra...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I am hoping that you can give us some advice. We're in the UK, and have contracted a company to completely refit the first floor bathroom. The first fix was completed a few days ago. We haven't moved in yet. When we returned to the property just now, the kitchen ceiling had caved...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock