Search the forum,

Discuss CT and VT Secondary Circuits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

So as most of you know I'm in my new job and trying to get my head around our commercial heating systems. Unfortunately, there is no one there to show me round each system or it's quirks :( Most of our buildings have no schematics for the plumbing either :(

Q1 - My understanding of CT and VT circuits is that CT circuits will normally supply overhead radiant heaters etc and VT circuits will supply radiators. The latter will be typically controlled by a weather compensator and the temperature will then be set using what is effectively a three port valve to mix return water on that circuit with flow water going in.

Q2 - On some of our sites we also have permanent and intermittent VT circuits. At this point I got thoroughly confused so if someone who understands larger commercial systems (i.e. hospital size) could explain this I would be grateful.

Thanks for all replies :)

Welcome to the fun time :D there never is drawings even at new buildings, things get added on / taken away and not updated if there were drawings when the place was constructed 1980 etc

Your thinking newish build most com places arnt that fancy and just relay on a stat out side below 15 heating comes on above it doesn't etc

Also some times there arnt delicate services for ct services, there just tee off the vt line with a blending valve and set to a temp for a batch/ room of either over head or fan convectors

Which I guess is the answer to q2 ?

Hope this helps

Also I wouldnt take the markings as bang on

Thanks. Any idea why one of our larger buildings has 3 lines - CT, permanent VT and intermittent VT?

Intermittent could be set for a temp range tbh don't know, do you know what's connected to ivt ?

Any chance of a few pics

Is it a circuit that's only used part of the year?

Hi all,

So as most of you know I'm in my new job and trying to get my head around our commercial heating systems. Unfortunately, there is no one there to show me round each system or it's quirks :( Most of our buildings have no schematics for the plumbing either :(

Q1 - My understanding of CT and VT circuits is that CT circuits will normally supply overhead radiant heaters etc and VT circuits will supply radiators. The latter will be typically controlled by a weather compensator and the temperature will then be set using what is effectively a three port valve to mix return water on that circuit with flow water going in.

Q2 - On some of our sites we also have permanent and intermittent VT circuits. At this point I got thoroughly confused so if someone who understands larger commercial systems (i.e. hospital size) could explain this I would be grateful.

Thanks for all replies :)

1) Pretty much yes, though overhead radiants can also be on VT. Normally CT used for things like fan convectors, heater batteries in air handling units etc.
2) Wonder what the intermittent VT circuit serves? Could there be some CT elements on it which need full temp part of the time? More details please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CT and VT Secondary Circuits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock