Search the forum,

Discuss Cracked top part of trap in shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi I have just bought a house and have just noticed a crack in the shower trap ,top part that connects to the tray.
There is no access to underneath of the shower tray.
Anyone identify the trap ? And can I replace the top part without having to remove the tray .
Thanks

20190423_171248.jpg

I gather the floor is tiled ? If it is and theres no spare tiles you may have to remove a small section of the ceiling underneath

With access below the tray it's fairly easy to replace. Just looks like a standard mcalpine shower tap
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-shower-trap-white-40mm/5075v
If you have no access then as above, a small hole in the ceiling below, can easily be filled sanded and repainted so you won't notice, or remove the floor next to the tray so you can reach your arm under to hold the trap.
However, if your feeling brave, you could unscrew the top part and if the waste is supported or sealed to the underside of the tray then you could replace the top part with minimal fuss. Just be warned that it doesn't always work and if your not prepared to remove the ceiling if it goes wrong, don't try it.

Or risk it for a biscuit and unscrew the top and hope the plumber who fitted it has used silicone sealant underneath. Enough so it holds whilst you screw a new top into it!

Worse case you'll have to take ceiling down below.

Thanks alot ,I guess I will get a plumber in to do the job as I have no access underneath (room below is a flat that belongs to someone else) I guess removing the shower tray will be the way to go

Thanks alot ,I guess I will get a plumber in to do the job as I have no access underneath (room below is a flat that belongs to someone else) I guess removing the shower tray will be the way to go
Nope. It would still be cheaper to knock on downstairs cut their ceiling. Patch up and paint ceiling.

If it’s purpose built flats that might not be possible, it could be an eight inch reinforced concrete slab!

Or risk it for a biscuit and unscrew the top and hope the plumber who fitted it has used silicone sealant underneath.

Have done that a fair few times with success, takes a lot of patience and no silicone to hold it underneath, just a lot of feffin and jeffin. :)

Have done that a fair few times with success, takes a lot of patience and no silicone to hold it underneath, just a lot of feffin and jeffin. :)
HI
I have the same problem, top crack on shower trap and large stone slab and no access underneath. Did you remove the trap from above or try to seal the crack?
Thank

Reply to Cracked top part of trap in shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock