Search the forum,

Discuss Crack in overflow pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I was hoping for some advice for a non-plumber! I live in a flat in a tenement building in Edinburgh - there is an overflow pipe emerging from the wall near the top of the building which has been constantly dripping for some time. It has been difficult to find out which flat the pipe is connected to but a plumber has been round to the top floor flat to the left of the pipe in the picture has said it is from that flat and it is due to a crack in the overflow pipe (I have heard this second-hand from the letting agent so no more info). It is c70ft off the ground so will need scaffolding to repair it which is a pain as it is causing problems in properties below.

But I don't understand how a crack in the pipe can lead to water constantly dripping out - surely there is an issue with a toiler/boiler in the flat that is causing water to end up in the pipe in the first place?

thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Inkedpipex_LI.jpg
    Inkedpipex_LI.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
It’s a pressure relief pipe of a boiler if the system pressure gets too high it’s comes out there they don’t reseal the best so could be passing

best to ask which one is topping the boiler up daily

tbh them flues need sealing externally to the building eg no gap/ entry

Thanks Shaun, the plumber said it is definitely the flat to the left of the picture. What I don't understand is the relevance of a 'cracked pipe' referred to by the plumber. Surely the water shouldn't be in the pipe at all if there is no boiler fault/plumbing issue in the flat?

Last edited:
I guess he thought it was the condense pipe

Gutters are also are problem they don’t join there is a gap about 6 inches to a foott

What I don't understand is the relevance of a 'cracked pipe' referred to by the plumber.
It's possible that the plumber could have said to the letting agent something like "...the pressure relief valve is open a crack and causing the 'overflow' to drip." and this has been garbled in transmission to you. Best to talk to the guy directly if possible.

I suspect the plumber actually said to the letting agent something like "...the pressure relief valve is open a crack and causing the 'overflow' to drip." and this has been garbled in transmission to you. Always best to talk to engineers directly if possible.
Thanks Chuck - yes, always better from the horses mouth! But they said they need scaffolding to access it so if it was the valve surely they could do that internally. What I don't understand is why that overflow pipe should be constantly dripping - surely a constant flow of water shouldn't be in the pipe in the first place whether it's damaged or not?

The only reason they would need scaf is to cement up the flues I would ask for it to be written down what’s wrong from the engineer

The only reason they would need scaf is to cement up the flues I would ask for it to be written down what’s wrong from the engineer
The only thing which occurred to me is if that overflow pipe did need replacing (and is cemented in) you would have to perhaps access it from outside?

The only thing which occurred to me is if that overflow pipe did need replacing (and is cemented in) you would have to perhaps access it from outside?
its not an over flow as has been stated its the safety blow off pipe from the boiler so no need to work from outside the flue does need sealing though.

the pressure relief valve needs replacing and possibly the expansion vessel (this may need just repressuiring) but will need to be checked

Ah, I think they are capped at each end -all the gutters round here look like that!
they may do but there is a gap between both properties and water is flowing off the roof follow the darkened stone also the flat above boiler is directly below look at the rust on the flue. eventually that flue will fail

its not an over flow as has been stated its the safety blow off pipe from the boiler so no need to work from outside the flue does need sealing though.

the pressure relief valve needs replacing and possibly the expansion vessel (this may need just repressuiring) but will need to be checked
Thanks - presumably the sealing of the flue does need to be done from outside? Although that would mean installing a new boiler in an upstairs flat round here would be very expensive....

Reply to Crack in overflow pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock