Search the forum,

Discuss Cpa 1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dmholt24

Can somebody please tell me the rules on the cpa 1 qualification I know you cant use the machine without it but can other sevices be carried out without using the machine I have been away for the last two years so haven't got a clue passed my acs in march 2006. CHEERS

Can somebody please tell me the rules on the cpa 1 qualification I know you cant use the machine without it but can other sevices be carried out without using the machine I have been away for the last two years so haven't got a clue passed my acs in march 2006. CHEERS

you dont need a fga for all appliances,you dont use it on anything with a cast iron heat exchanger as shale will cause wrong readings even a modern combi like a potterton performa he,baxi say a fga reading is n/a it all depends on the appliance

So installation and sevicing of newer appliances probally means I'm going to need it. Thanks

CPA1 is a proof of competance of using an anaylser, so as usual with gas regs etc, IF you do something wrong and dont have CPA1 you will be asked why you didnt prove your competance!! if you do something wrong and have CPA1 you will be asked why you didnt work to your competance!!
in the mean time you like the rest of us have until april 2012 to get your CPA1, unless your CEN1 and HTR1 tickets run out before then you will need to do CPA1 along with the renewals, that is the legal stuff, but if you are working on HE boilers and flueless fires you will be required to take FGA readings to confirm safety, so are you able to take and interpretet results? you will get lots of comments from some on here saying it is a lot of rubbish and from there point of view it might be, but do you need CPA1 training and assessment to do your work safely, if you do then get it done now, if you dont then wait until april 2012

What 1 would u you advise for somebody on a tight budget and I will be going in for the assesment what sort of prices are there for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
what makes the tpi crap,thought was a cheap and cheerful unit,is there at lot of trouble with them

Just so I know to cross off list :(

i dont know you personally so i cant really comment, it comes down to your skill, as i said if you are working on HE boilers and flueless fires you will be required to check CO/CO2 or CO% you need an analyser to do it, so you will decide whether to buy one depending on your workload, whether you can take it out the box, switch it on and take readings without training is down to you, check the MI to get the value you need, take a reading then decide whether the reading is under action level(therefore ok) or over action level(therefore service/repair is required) the action level info is readily available, in fact I have the FGA section from the VIPER training book as a PDF, do you want it to have a look at?

what makes the tpi crap,thought was a cheap and cheerful unit,is there at lot of trouble with them

Just so I know to cross off list :(

they are unreliable,mine constantly plays up,filters blocked,when there not and the high calibration cost £265 +£22 pound to send it to tpi stay well clear puddle

i dont know you personally so i cant really comment, it comes down to your skill, as i said if you are working on HE boilers and flueless fires you will be required to check CO/CO2 or CO% you need an analyser to do it, so you will decide whether to buy one depending on your workload, whether you can take it out the box, switch it on and take readings without training is down to you, check the MI to get the value you need, take a reading then decide whether the reading is under action level(therefore ok) or over action level(therefore service/repair is required) the action level info is readily available, in fact I have the FGA section from the VIPER training book as a PDF, do you want it to have a look at?

i do agree with this i done mine because at the time i was fitting a lot of flueless,and as we all know,there was a fatality in wales with a focal point flueless plazma type fire,the type i was fitting done 7 ,6 of these failed a time test[over gassing] and were made safe pending the manufacture to resolve this type of appliance really does highlight the use of fga,s and the standard time test/gasrate

dmholt24
In regards to getting a decent FGA on a tight budget, try ringing Kevin at Gas and Environmental services.Not sure where you live, but they are based in Hertfordshire(Welwyn Garden City).

I got a second hand anton from him this time last year.Came with a years warranty and all the probes, hoses etc.Think I paid about £270 plus vat, which considering a brand new one is £600ish plus vat, I think it is a bargain.

Gas & Environmental Services Ltd

Graham

Hi, I see you have FGA section of the Viper book as a PDF. Would you mind sending me a copy? I would be really grateful and would return the favour if possible.

Mike

Am I the only one who likes my TPI? I love it and have never had any problems with it whereas my anton sprint is useless and is just left in the back of the van as a back up.

Hi, I see you have FGA section of the Viper book as a PDF. Would you mind sending me a copy? I would be really grateful and would return the favour if possible.

Mike

send me a PM with your email address if you still want this

Mike

there isnt really any point in you returning the favour as i already have it but thanks for the offer anyway

Ive got my own Anton Sprint, but Ive been given a TPI by BG to use when subbying. Ive never seen so many faults on a brand new FGA, "O2 init error", "CO Sensor fault", "Oooh its cold out here!" .Ive had 3 replacement units off them already, I'm not a fan of TPI.

Got to agree with you there CES. The TPI is crap in my opinion.

I've got a TPI digital thermometer which is fine but I've tried the FGA and I'm not impressed.I'll stick with my Kane I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cpa 1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock