Search the forum,

Discuss Could i connect this radiator myself? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Folks,

When we moved into our house we had a radiator in my son's room. Unfortuately it was not connected, there are two pipes coming out of the floor but each end is not connected to the radiator, i have put some photos on to show you what it is like. Just wondering is this something i could connect or would you advise a plumber to come and sort it, id like to have a go myself but i think it might be outside of my DIY skill set LOL.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Need to get under the floor and move pipes. Could be straightforward, could be a mare. Do you have a combi boiler, is it a sealed system or open vent etc etc etc.

If you are any doubt then it's worth getting somebody in.

Need to get under the floor and move pipes. Could be straightforward, could be a mare. Do you have a combi boiler, is it a sealed system or open vent etc etc etc.

If you are any doubt then it's worth getting somebody in.

we have a Worcester green star 30cdi boiler so it’s a sealed system. I think it would be a mare for me, are we talking quite a lot of money to get it connected?

You could measure the distance between the centre of valves and take off the distance to the valve tail threads for a new radiator size.

Yes I think it needs a plumber, do you know what the cost would roughly be?
You will also have to pay for a drain down, I would get plumber to check ch water condition and add inhibitor maybe and check your mag filter and as its a visit
get a gsr outfit whom might service your boiler at the same time.
So its one days work ...cost depending on who you get and where you are. There will be good engineers on here who can carry this out
...let them know your post code. centralheatking

Looks a bit Rusty to me be better off replacing the radiator you may even get away with the pipework if you plan ahead and get a panel rad to fit the space . Kop

Those threads look shot. I would be lifting the floor to get the pipes to look neat, but looks like its been there a while going by the rust.

I agree that the thread in the rad tappings look pretty bad and it may be time to replace the rad. However if that is absolutely not an option for whatever reason, a 1/2" BSP Tap like this can be run through the thread. If they are really badly corroded then the threads will be damaged but I've put a few old radiators back into service by doing this. Just thought I'd mention it as a possible solution for those bad threads.

I agree that the thread in the rad tappings look pretty bad and it may be time to replace the rad. However if that is absolutely not an option for whatever reason, a 1/2" BSP Tap like this can be run through the thread. If they are really badly corroded then the threads will be damaged but I've put a few old radiators back into service by doing this. Just thought I'd mention it as a possible solution for those bad threads.

of course you can renovate the threads...thick oil and wire wool
then wind the stabbing in and out plenty of times. When its clean and looks good...go for it...its the sort of thing I do but I was not sure of your ability or commitment...have a go ...let me know chking

This is not a job for a novice. You will need to be an experienced keen DIYer with all the correct tools to tackle bringing that rad back online. Job involves drain down, lifting flooring, correct joist notching, altering pipework, cleaning the tappings, new 3/4" rad tail fitting for locksheild valve, a new angled TRV + 1/2" rad tail fitting, fill back up including adding inhibitor, vent rads & pressurise then balance rads, lastly when happy all is well & no leaks put floorboards back and finally sit back with a cuppa.

Reply to Could i connect this radiator myself? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock