Search the forum,

Discuss Cost for new bathroom trap in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

I’m in Australia. I have an old bottle trap pipe in my bathroom under basin. And plumber said we should get I think it’s called p-trap or smp pipe. Thing is he said he would have to remove bottle trap and cut some of tiles open. He said it was generally subjective and couldn’t give me a quote if he finishes job and replaces bottle trap. How much would it cost to remove bottle trap and install new one.. I’m not talking about tiling. Just the instillation of new trap. I’m annoyed he couldn’t give me a an approximation.
[automerge]1573917488[/automerge]
Hi there,

I’m in Australia. I have an old bottle trap pipe in my bathroom under basin. And plumber said we should get I think it’s called p-trap or smp pipe. Thing is he said he would have to remove bottle trap and cut some of tiles open. He said it was generally subjective and couldn’t give me a quote if he finishes job and replaces bottle trap. How much would it cost to remove bottle trap and install new one.. I’m not talking about tiling. Just the instillation of new trap. I’m annoyed he couldn’t give me a an approximation. By new pipe I meant p trap or smp pipe whatever it’s cLlec but no bottle trap pipe anymore
[/QUOTE
[automerge]1573917659[/automerge]
Hi there,

I’m in Australia. I have an old bottle trap pipe in my bathroom under basin. And plumber said we should get I think it’s called p-trap or smp pipe. Thing is he said he would have to remove bottle trap and cut some of tiles open. He said it was generally subjective and couldn’t give me a quote if he finishes job and replaces bottle trap. How much would it cost to remove bottle trap and install new one(non bottle trap pipe).. I’m not talking about tiling. Just the instillation of new trap. I’m annoyed he couldn’t give me a a new approximation for the new p trap or smp pipe or whatever it’s called. Hence why I want a second opinion here..
I

Attachments

• 6EBE5EF2-F36A-4924-87C8-C7169FA54E19.jpeg
    6EBE5EF2-F36A-4924-87C8-C7169FA54E19.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hello to the antipodes ...question ...what is wrong with your existing ?
piccys are fine but we need to understand why it needs replacing
centralheatking

Hello to the antipodes ...question ...what is wrong with your existing ?
piccys are fine but we need to understand why it needs replacing
centralheatking
Hi there,

Well initially it was coz the sink was blocked as some glass bits fell down the bathroom basin sink hole. He had to take it off, and he said it’s leaking and should be replaced as it’s old and also servicing the bottle trap is harder. He put new tap on. I think the issue why is some leaking from the bottle trap and also old and rusty as he had to take it off to remove the glass bits in the pipe

I`m sure Oz will be along later tonight and being in the same country will have better idea of costs, not sure why we need to know the in`s & out`s of the waste and last time I asked a Q like that Dan ripped me!

Got one here I can swap it for you if you can afford the airfare ;) seriously though Oz is your man pm him if he misses the post . Regards kop

Hi there,

Well initially it was coz the sink was blocked as some glass bits fell down the bathroom basin sink hole. He had to take it off, and he said it’s leaking and should be replaced as it’s old and also servicing the bottle trap is harder. He put new tap on. I think the issue why is some leaking from the bottle trap and also old and rusty as he had to take it off to remove the glass bits in the pipe
"servicing the bottle trap is harder", well unless it is something you aussies do I`ve never heard that one. Might add it to my website and see how far that one gets me. :D

Hi Steve,

If your plumber can't service / clean the bottle trap and has said that you have to remove tiles so that he can fit a new trap - get another plumber!!!
He obviously has a very limited skill set if he made those recommendations.

Steve , the forum in based in England, we have one Aussie . I doubt i
Hi Steve,

If your plumber can't service / clean the bottle trap and has said that you have to remove tiles so that he can fit a new trap - get another plumber!!!
He obviously has a very limited skill set if he made those recommendations.

Oz , cant you nip round and sort it for him ?

Steve , the forum in based in England, we have one Aussie . I doubt i

Oz , cant you nip round and sort it for him ?
No I can't - just been to the neighbours to unblock their toilet.
Just what I wanted to do after Sunday evening dinner.

By the way, I can't wait until I switch my phone on tomorrow morning.
I've decided this weekend to not switch my phone on on Sundays and not look at emails either.

I'm going to start a new thread - going off topic.

Hi there,

I’m in Australia. I have an old bottle trap pipe in my bathroom under basin. And plumber said we should get I think it’s called p-trap or smp pipe. Thing is he said he would have to remove bottle trap and cut some of tiles open. He said it was generally subjective and couldn’t give me a quote if he finishes job and replaces bottle trap. How much would it cost to remove bottle trap and install new one.. I’m not talking about tiling. Just the instillation of new trap. I’m annoyed he couldn’t give me a an approximation.

[automerge]1573917659[/automerge]

I
Why does he need to interfer with the tiles, is he suggesting the pipe size is different to a modern trap ?
Sounds like a donk

Reply to Cost for new bathroom trap in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock