Discuss Corrugated cardboard wall panels in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

mutley racers

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Hi all. I am renovating a bathroom at mo and today while removing the tiles and boarding I have discovered what looks like corrugated wall sheets from cardboard. Anyone ever come across these before?

Cheers

Shower Power Booster | PlumbersForums.net Official Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Yep timbers 4 foot on centres ish

Millsy 82

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Yep I live in a house with them walls. They are rubbish and not looking forward to doing my bathroom as they are just the same size as plasterboard but thinner

townfanjon

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Mines 3 “” thick compressed straw lol , try putting a brown plug in that and it holding

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score

townfanjon

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Over the years as walls have moved I have changed it to studding and plasterboard.

Kitchen rad is 600 x 1800 double , its bolted through the straw with 4 x 75 mm x 8 mm bolts with 40mm washers . Its a good job it wasnt a customers when I found the straw . Its called stamic , or something like that , strangely it didnt take off lol

scott_d

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Over the years as walls have moved I have changed it to studding and plasterboard.

Kitchen rad is 600 x 1800 double , its bolted through the straw with 4 x 75 mm x 8 mm bolts with 40mm washers . Its a good job it wasnt a customers when I found the straw . Its called stamic , or something like that , strangely it didnt take off lol
How old is your house?

OP
M

mutley racers

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Never seen it before and couldn't believe it when found. This stuff is about 2 inches thick with dot and dab on either side. I need to move a doors location and put shower valve in this stuff but not deep enough for valve.

Can you run a vertical waste in it from a wall hung basin or is it best to knock down and stud the walls out.

Cheers all.

20190416_115724.jpg

20190416_115727.jpg

Millsy 82

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Personally I would take it out and rebuild it or at least cut the one side down and rebuild. It is fairly strong stuff though but so thin you will struggle to get a 22mm through it let alone a waste pipe.

Last Plumber

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Stramit board, the straw stuff, I am sure is made same as an Archery Target Boss.
The egg board stuff, I don't know what they were thinking. What's all this perform like in a fire?

Mastermixlee

Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Paramount partition board most likely.

"studs" are tiny and spaced massively apart.
The eggshell structure actually makes one side of the plasterboard support the other (hence the lack of traditional studs) .

So if you cut too large a hole in one side it affect the strength of the opposing side.

Crap stuff and alot thinner than normal walls.

It's alot of work but I personally remove and replace with traditional stud wall as has more strength for mounting, and space for sound insulation.

EvilDrPorkChop

Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Yes it's Paramount walls. We come across it quite a bit round here. Horrible stuff for getting shower valves/pipes in.

As said above, if possible remove and replace with a proper stud.

Reaction score
I have seen them in Dunstable. They can turn a simple job into a nightmare if dropping cables or pipes down the stud wall cavity is your plan.

Reaction score
I had Paramount walls in my last place, the only advantage to them was getting cables down the wall got easier as I used drain rods, pushing them through the corigations down from above.

OP
M

mutley racers

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks all. Replaced wall where door and shower valve is going.

How is this for underfloor heating...

20190423_093925.jpg

20190423_094209.jpg

20190423_094551.jpg

Mastermixlee

Gas Engineer
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek:
Holy feck.

Wonder what else you'll find if you keep digging!?
Maybe a ten gallon hat!

uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Plumbase - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor

Latest Plumbing Advice

Top Bottom