Search the forum,

Discuss Correct way to connect two compression fittings in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Apologies for the stupid question, I'm just a newbie playing under the sink.
I have an isolation valve and an elbow, both of which have compression fittings that would normally fix to copper pipe.
I need to connect both together directly. What is the correct fitting to do this? Surely I don't have to use a short length of pipe?
Many thanks for any advice.

Alternatively you can buy an angled isolating valve. 44D85E59-121B-413A-8EAC-92462769FECB.jpeg

How else did you think it would connect, plumber’s magic?
Well I thought that as it must be a fairly regular requirement there might have been a specific fitting to use. It would have made sense and a neater job instead of bits of pipe. But now I've learnt firstly that that's not the case and secondly, that in order to avoid sarcastic comments, I wont visit this site again with beginners questions, I'll go elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up. Oh and thanks to the two previous answers from the grownups.

@JackGr - instead of throwing your toys out of the pram, why not consider that people here are giving you free advice, and if that comes with a bit of mockery, so be it? Here we're among friends and a bit of gentle sarcasm can be par for the course. Had Undertrained answered you with his/her comment immediately, I would be on your side, but as your question had already been comprehensively answered, I don't really agree that Undertrained was out of line.

To give you a serious answer, most of us wouldn't use a compression elbow at all as you describe: we'd prefer to pull a bend or use a soldered elbow, so your situation occurs rarely. You could try to use a double-female iron instead of a short bit of pipe, but it would be an expensive bodge that might not really work, and plumbers always have a short bit of pipe. This is why there isn't a specific fitting available.

Reply to Correct way to connect two compression fittings in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I'm considering fitting an isolator valve to 15mm feed to my toliet cistern. It would require cutting off an existing compression fitting for a flex hose, after which I'd only be left with maybe an inch and a half of pipe. I've never fitted a compression fitting before, can someone...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems to be slightly smaller than 22 mm compression fitting and when I tighten the compression nut the whole fitting is easily sliding off the pipe and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Hi all! I'm in the process of fitting a replacement undersink water heater in my shed and, as advised in the instructions (yes, I know, what am I doing reading those!), it reccommends connecting to the inlet and outlet using SS braided flexible hoses. Nothing wrong there me thinks. I dropped...
Replies
Views
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine waste but the problem is in the water supply. Currently there is only hot and cold washing machine hose fitting isolators attached to very short...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock