Discuss Core drills in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Alright my plumbers from another mother

Know it’s been asked before but what core drills are people using. I need to bite the bullet.

Diaquip

Hello Shaun. You always know of the nicest gear. Think that’s a little outta my price range. Don’t mind something In the £400-700 mark

Like anything it’s all in the cores

That’s a good price. Would it do a 152mm core?

The thing is probably but I wouldn’t do that many also depends what your going through

if your doing a lot of 6” through hard stuff I would say no

Nah not really hard stuff. Like you say though it’s about the quality of the cores too

I've got the Milwaukee one and it is superb, about £500 from memory. As above though, it is worth pairing it with a decent set of cores.

Yep cheap ones I find tend to twist you more as the stones arnt set right facing inwards a smidge

Alright my plumbers from another mother

Know it’s been asked before but what core drills are people using. I need to bite the bullet.
Sorry can’t contribute, but are you back now Riley?

actually, tell a lie, I’ve used one at work - Makita - didn’t like it as it was like Bob Marley, kept jamming. Cores were crap as well.

I too have the makita 8406 and find it very good. Did 6” core for my kitchen extractor easy (mind you it was only block and render so cheating really).
Done loads of 127, 117, 65, 52, 38 holes in all sorts.
Mind you this time I never use this drill for anything else, strictly cores only, so it’s never been on hammer and it’s lasting really well.

Cheers mate. I’ve never been a makita fan but maybe I should get over myself

Depends on frequency of use I s’pose. I mostly do bathrooms so much less use than if you’re fitting boilers I guess.

Yeah. Sorry mate I wasn’t being rude. I appreciate the suggestion I’ve just never been a makita guy

Cheers mate. I’ve never been a makita fan but maybe I should get
I actually have both the Makita and Milwaukee. I find the Milwaukee much better, it feels a lot more powerful and definitely goes through smoother. The lads always borrow it and the Makita stays in the lock up, which says something.

@IND Nick

Depends on the power rating of the Makita doesnt it, they can vary enormously from 850w to 1400W and are priced accordingly. Whereas the Millwaukee has a high power rating as standard.

The Milwaukee is a DD2 - 160XE which says it is 1500W. The Makita is a 8406C which says 1400W.
So there's not much in it.
As said I have both and in my opinion, and the lads who work for me, the Milwaukee performs better. But both are good quality and will definitely do the job.

I had a makita bought solely for coring. But now I just use my £99 bosch corded sds drill. Takes a lot of stick. Used it to cut about 80 6" cores in concrete 60mm deep to recess a wet room former.

Blimey all those cores!! Why not just SDS with a chisel bit - actually last time I did similar job it required the 15kg breaker - but breaker must be much quicker than cores I would of thought?

Blimey all those cores!! Why not just SDS with a chisel bit - actually last time I did similar job it required the 15kg breaker - but breaker must be much quicker than cores I would of thought?

Just trying to be precise. The concrete was 6 to 8 inches thick. Used the core method over a 1700 x 800 area. Sorted the waste, small pour of self leveller and then tile adhesive to stick the former down.
Tried my breaker but just not precise enough.

Fair enough. I suppose it depends what former you have. To be fair mine was an impey, which you screw down. So I horsed out plenty of material then set it on sand cement- screwing down into sub base the following day .
Membrane down and good to go, mind you I cheated by advising custard so I could tile in 2” squares which follow the former nice and easy with no cuts!
Stop waffling me, waaaaay off topic.

Fair enough. I suppose it depends what former you have. To be fair mine was an impey, which you screw down. So I horsed out plenty of material then set it on sand cement- screwing down into sub base the following day .
Membrane down and good to go, mind you I cheated by advising custard so I could tile in 2” squares which follow the former nice and easy with no cuts!
Stop waffling me, waaaaay off topic.

It was a rigid foam one. Nice when the tiles are small enough for no cutting. I always try and push the customer to a small tile in the wet area. I tell them it gives better grip under foot with the extra grout lines.

Oooo the fibs we all tell to make our lives easier!
I agree, I had a punter asking me about nonslip treatment as they’d had a wet room done where the shower was basically 2 800x800 polished porcelain tiles split from the corners and was link an ice rink.

Marcrist DDM1 core drill thoughts or reviews please lads

Marcrist DDM1 core drill thoughts or reviews please lads
I looked at this as a replacement to the Makita I have. It looks identical to the Milwaukee, even has the same case but is just a little less on the power front. I would imagine it is a pretty decent drill. We use the Marcrist core bits and dust extraction kit which both work well and make life a bit easier.

Thanks buddy I was thinking the same and I found a really good deal on it so I’m thinking it should be ok. I don’t do site work so am usually only drilling flue and condense per install rather than kitchen and bathroom as well. I have a friend that’s gifted me two big hilti cores too, only used twice but they’re 4” and 6” so need a decent motor behind it

Found a kit that comes with the extractor set for not much more £3-4 I think it worked out so I think it could be the winner

Just to follow up chaps. Bought the Marcrist DDM1. Used it for the first time in anger today drilling some really nasty hard red brick. What a machine, if I said it was like knife through butter I wouldn’t be exaggerating. Flue and condense drilled in under 10 mins. To be honest it would’ve been quicker but it took a while to change cores. Can highly recommend and can honestly say I don’t know how I’ve survived with an SDS for so long. Effortless drilling!!!

Yeah I've a Marcrist. Feels less ergonimic than some more modern-feeling kit, but no problems with it, and it's anything but underpowered.

Reply to Core drills in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock