Search the forum,

Discuss Copper pipes or plastic pipes? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi!

I have to change all the plumbing in my mother's house. She lives in an old building that is approximately 100 years old and there wasn't much done to keep it up to date. My question is: do I use plastic or copper pipes?

Bare in mind plastic and copper have different pressure loss and flow rate characteristics, not to mention price difference, skill required and durability etc etc.

It's copper for me all the way. That said, to use plastic is not "wrong" and it is more DIY friendly. As already mentioned follow all manufacturer instructions and plastic is a perfectly acceptable solution.

If you are handy with the craft stuff though and can get a hold of a pipe bender, blowtorch and soldering kit and have a practice, a properly and skilfully installed copper system is superior in the long term in my opinion.

There’s nothing wrong with fitting plastic, it’s not just for DIYers as others here may suggest.
For exposed work it’s got to be copper, you just can’t get plastic to look right plus the fittings are really bulky, but under floors and what not I always use plastic.

I agree with what you are saying, Stu. My comment was not saying plastic is for DIYers but that it is more "DIY friendly" which I am sure is true, looking at it from a purely novice point of view. A flat blade cutter, clips, liners and the right fittings, pipe shipped in all the way to the stop and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover, easy.

Bending copper and soldering, not so easy until you've had a fair bit of practice. I like plastic mainly for running through inaccessible places with no joints, like through the eave space of my dad's house recently which was to be boarded in and finished. Great for things like that and under floors as you say.

If I am given free reign I'll still use copper everywhere I can.

I agree with what you are saying, Stu. My comment was not saying plastic is for DIYers but that it is more "DIY friendly" which I am sure is true, looking at it from a purely novice point of view. A flat blade cutter, clips, liners and the right fittings, pipe shipped in all the way to the stop and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover, easy.

Bending copper and soldering, not so easy until you've had a fair bit of practice. I like plastic mainly for running through inaccessible places with no joints, like through the eave space of my dad's house recently which was to be boarded in and finished. Great for things like that and under floors as you say.

If I am given free reign I'll still use copper everywhere I can.

I wasn’t having a go at you pal 👍🏻 Just often plastic gets a bad rep especially from the oldies here, I like a mixture of both and sometimes plastic is better (did I say that out loud)

Just priced a job that will be plastic, new build that wants to extend hot and cold to garage for a little utility room that's being created. Hot and cold from 1st floor bathroom to top of stairs, cored through external wall, in 4" black soil, cored through garage wall and down to floor level. All in one piece.

Interesting post all, you can buy plastic in 6m lengths which is handy (coils are good but can drive you round the bend!).
Personally I'm a copper man, I reckon you always use less fittings with copper than with plastic.
Even to install plastic needs skill to fit properly.

Reply to Copper pipes or plastic pipes? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock