Search the forum,

Discuss Copper pipes and no olives in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me on this one.

Our cold water on our kitchen tap has stopped working so we made the decision to change the tap.

The only issue we have is our house was an ex showhome and appears to have been plumbed in a rush.

I've had a look at loads of tutorials online to try and see if I could fix the issue myself, but it appears (please correct me if I'm wrong) that I don't have any olives under my sink unit?

Please ignore the messy photos of under my sink, and let me know if you need more.

But please can someone kindly have a look at this and tell me what they think I need to do?

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• 15862684287368830181852577564436.jpg
    15862684287368830181852577564436.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 15862684992223231248741367719154.jpg
    15862684992223231248741367719154.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 15862685194196040321299342914735.jpg
    15862685194196040321299342914735.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 43
You will need to cut the copper pipes supplying the tap.
Fit isolation valves then connect the new tap.
Most likely it will come with flexi connectors.
Don’t buy cheap junk 😀

You will need to cut the copper pipes supplying the tap.
Fit isolation valves then connect the new tap.
Most likely it will come with flexi connectors.
Don’t buy cheap junk 😀
Thank you, is there anything you would recommend?

And how far approx would I need to cut? Or will the tap measurement tell me?

Wrong cupboard Mrs Pieroni, your olive quotient is fine.

Looks like you have a cold water feed to a water filter/fridge freezer too, best get someone in if possible.

Might need to cut back and drop them tees for washing machine to get a pair of isolation valves on for new tap.

There's nuts inside these olives....😁View attachment 43225
Hahaha, oh gosh what have I started 😂
[automerge]1586287645[/automerge]
Wrong cupboard Mrs Pieroni, your olive quotient is fine.

Looks like you have a cold water feed to a water filter/fridge freezer too, best get someone in if possible.
Ohh, thank you for looking, I knew someone with an eagle eye would see something, I will see when I can get someone out, I don't know how brave I feel cutting my own pipes!

You will need to find your self a plumber to fit isolation valves in the pipework. They will need to drop the tee on the cold. The hot one they could take out completely as all washing machines are now cold fill only. Then fit the valves above the tee. You will be able to safely turn the water off to the tap. As you will have a plumber there you may as well get them to fit the tap. Next time you will be able to do it yourself.

You will need to find your self a plumber to fit isolation valves in the pipework. They will need to drop the tee on the cold. The hot one they could take out completely as all washing machines are now cold fill only. Then fit the valves above the tee. You will be able to safely turn the water off to the tap. As you will have a plumber there you may as well get them to fit the tap. Next time you will be able to do it yourself.
Thank you moonlight, do you have a rough idea how much this may cost?

It does depend where you are in the country. I would say maximum 1 1/2hrs labour plus materials.

As an amateur I would recommend Moonlights answer and get a Pro to do this one, unless you have done lots of plumbing (in which case you would also be a pro). Ask them how they intend to do the job.

Buy a good quality tap so you can get same/similar parts replacements when that new tap needs work on it. That way the plumbing won't need mod again.

It's a simple but critical area of the house so a poor job could cost you long term, also shut your plumbing down.

P.S. The green marks are corrosion from housebuild plumbers not removing the soldering flux residue. The way new houses are built those guys would prob be under duress to do the job as fast as possible. I'd wire wool that corrosion, brasso (duraglit wadding type) and light coating of vaseline. It then just needs a wipe with a cloth to do any plumbing.

Best of luck,
Roy

All modern estate houses are plumbed in a hurry I'm afraid. That because the plumbers are all doing piece work which means the quicker they work the more they earn. The end result is poor workmanship. I spend a lot of my time on new estate rectifying problems like this. You'll probably have more issues!

All modern estate houses are plumbed in a hurry I'm afraid. That because the plumbers are all doing piece work which means the quicker they work the more they earn. The end result is poor workmanship. I spend a lot of my time on new estate rectifying problems like this. You'll probably have more issues!

Modern estate builders will I am sure go along with that approach to maximise their profits. They must know what is not happening. I understand my MP maintains a "wall of shame" of statistics of worst modern estate house builders. She is not able to publish it though. NHBC needs to be abolished in favour of some kind of proper inspection scheme. Sorry I'm not keeping to subject of this thread. Consider myself suitably reprimanded.

Roy

Reply to Copper pipes and no olives in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock