Search the forum,

Discuss Copper pipe slightly too short in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have replaced some parts in my toilet cistern including the rubber seal between the cistern and the toilet. Unfortunately the replacement is thicker than the previous one and as a result the copper water pipe doesn’t match with the cistern inlet by a few mm. Any thoughts on how to resolve this problem?

Attachments

• IMG_20200801_183044.jpg
    IMG_20200801_183044.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200801_183052.jpg
    IMG_20200801_183052.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 19
1/2 - 15mm female iron should sort this and either a washer or ptfe on the plastic threads

Correct thread the internal threaded part onto the valve you might have to undo the inlet valve so you can raise it to get it on and thread it all the way down until it stops

then try it for length if you need more than a few mm you will need ptfe if not your fine with just a 1/2 washer

Be careful not to cross thread the plastic when you start

I got a 15mm to 1/2 inch coupler. Unfortunately it doesn't fit as the diameter of the isolation value connector is 13.85mm.

I've measured the pipe before the existing isolation value and it's 15mm. Phew. So I think I'll replace the isolation value as well and hopefully that will resolve the problems.

Last edited:
I misidentified the connection size. The top of the valve is 0.5 inch and the cistern fitting is 0.5 inch so I need a tap extension as some have suggested. Unfortunately I didn’t understand the difference so went down the wrong path (or should that be pipe). I have bought several of them so can link them together if the gap is too big for just one.
[automerge]1596371971[/automerge]
Not so sure a tap extension will be long enough there.

What would you do then? Use several tap extensions together? That's my plan.

I got a 15mm to 1/2 inch coupler. Unfortunately it doesn't fit as the diameter of the isolation value connector is 13.85mm.

I've measured the pipe before the existing isolation value and it's 15mm. Phew. So I think I'll replace the isolation value as well and hopefully that will resolve the problems.

doesn’t fit on the Id of the threaded end? As it should fit

Reply to Copper pipe slightly too short in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock