Search the forum,

Discuss Copper pipe sleeve through walls? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hey guys. I know we sleeve copper pipes through walls to protect the pipe but what is the reaction called when copper is in contact with the brick mortar or plaster? Debating with a colleague. He thinks it’s elecrtolisys

Copper generally will only react with concrete / mortar / brick if the substrate contains high levels of sulphur ( most cements and mortars are low sulphur). In the presence of water that may produce Copper Sulphide - which appears as black spots on the surface of the pipe.

Electrolysis of copper is the school boy experiment to convert impure copper to pure copper - I don’t think it is used commercially, nor does it occur in the as built environment as it can with say zinc.

Last edited:
Electrolysis of copper is the school boy experiment to convert impure copper to pure copper - I don’t think it is used commercially, nor does it occur in the as built environment as it can with say zinc.

Don't those electro-osmo damp proofing systems (controversial, maybe snake oil) sometimes cause electrolytic corrosion in copper pipework? I seem to remember reading that somewhere and because of that, and the lack of proven effectiveness of electro-osmosis systems, they sometimes do more harm than good?

Hey guys. I know we sleeve copper pipes through walls to protect the pipe but what is the reaction called when copper is in contact with the brick mortar or plaster? Debating with a colleague. He thinks it’s elecrtolisys
There used to be a myth that cement reacted with copper eg in concrete floors and thats why pipe was wrapped etc. Copper pipes laid bare into concrete etc. do end up leaking because they expand and contract and pull themselves apart . Wrapping them allows this movement . centralheatking

Reply to Copper pipe sleeve through walls? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock