Search the forum,

Discuss Copper CH /water pipes in concrete floor/walls in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Could anyone point me in the right direction. I had a complete plumbing install at a property I was renovating, the CH and plumbing was commissioned in Oct 20. Over the last 2 weeks we noticed the boiler (ATAG Combi) losing pressure and requiring refilling, this became more frequent, most recently about 4 times per day (from 0.0 bar). ATAG have checked the boiler and all was well. We have since noticed signs of water damage around the ground floor skirting and signs of water coming through the click flooring. Having read many of the forums on here, I believe it is highly likely that the copper piping in the walls and floor that was protected with a hessian sleeve has probably failed in multiple places. The plumber who installed and commissioned the system has stated that he is not responsible - clearly I disagree, but I'm struggling to find any building regulations or other legislation that details the requirements when installing copper CH or water pipes in concrete. Any advice gratefully received.

Absolute minimum in my view would be to use plastic wrapped copper, if you‘d argue it’s inside the living space. Hessian wrap (I call it Fuzzy felt) is wholly and totally inadequate to bury pipes in concrete with, with what is known about the consequences. Sadly hessian wrap is a remnant from a past century that is still commonly in use. All new pipework should be insulated in modern foam insulation or fitted with a channel within the concrete floor. In addition for longer length expansion will need to considered which can cause fractures.

Sadly due to the expense, lack of enforcement or knowledge the methods as stated in the regulations and guides are all too often not adhered to.

(https://assets.publishing.service.g.../attachment_data/file/697629/L1B_secure-1.pdf

Paragraph 4.24

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../attachment_data/file/697525/DBSCG_secure.pdf

Page 20

Section 3.1.2

Is it new pipework in new concrete?
Or is any of the pipework pre-existing?
The original concrete floor and block walls were channelled out, new pipes laid and back-filled with cement, the domestic water in the walls doesn't have the hessian.

Attachments

• pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    796.9 KB · Views: 18
Absolute minimum in my view would be to use plastic wrapped copper, if you‘d argue it’s inside the living space. Hessian wrap (I call it Fuzzy felt) is wholly and totally inadequate to bury pipes in concrete with, with what is known about the consequences. Sadly hessian wrap is a remnant from a past century that is still commonly in use. All new pipework should be insulated in modern foam insulation or fitted with a channel within the concrete floor. In addition for longer length expansion will need to considered which can cause fractures.

Sadly due to the expense, lack of enforcement or knowledge the methods as stated in the regulations and guides are all too often not adhered to.

(https://assets.publishing.service.g.../attachment_data/file/697629/L1B_secure-1.pdf

Paragraph 4.24

https://assets.publishing.service.g.../attachment_data/file/697525/DBSCG_secure.pdf

Page 20

Section 3.1.2
Thanks for the links, exactly what I needed. This run of pipe (see picture attached) is approx 6m so in the recent cold spell could have expanded by 6mm (or tried to), I guess that could account for such a significant loss of water?

Attachments

• pipes2.jpg
    pipes2.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 15
I wouldnt have thought cement would corrode copper in just 4 months.
Any external drain offs?
How big is the heating system?
You could hire/buy a thermal imaging camera of employ a leak detection company to find the issue.

I wouldnt have thought cement would corrode copper in just 4 months.
Any external drain offs?
How big is the heating system?
You could hire/buy a thermal imaging camera of employ a leak detection company to find the issue.
I had called a leak detection company and he has just been, one or two of the joints have failed in the pipework, digging starts Monday! Many thanks

Reply to Copper CH /water pipes in concrete floor/walls in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock