Search the forum,

Discuss Cooker hood/chimney outlet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 101614

A plumber attended to work on my boiler. The same evening, or the day after, there was a strong smell of urine in my kitchen which came from water dripping through the cooker hood onto my hob. I called another plumber & went with him up to the loft, and found that someone had sealed with tape the outlet pipe of the cooker chimney together with the outlet pipe of the waste so that the two were feeding into each other. He separated the two and put them to vent out through the roof, which solved the problem, except that I have a dangerously water-logged cooker hood. My question is: does it only take a day or two, after joining the cooker chimney outlet to the waste outlet, for enough condensation to form to start dripping through into my kitchen?

It seems it was the first plumber who joined the two pipes, because the smell and water dripping started soon after he was in my home. The next day. (I can't remember if I noticed the smell the same evening.)

It seems it was the first plumber who joined the two pipes, because the smell and water dripping started soon after he was in my home. The next day. (I can't remember if I noticed the smell the same evening.)
Why was the plumber there isn’t he first place? Why would he need to join the 2 pipes together if he was working on the boiler. I am slightly confused. Can you say 100% that it was him? What did the second plumber think?

The second plumber commented that anyone would know that the two outlets should be put out to vent through the roof. The first plumber had changed the flue terminal from my boiler - so he had previously been working in the loft. He came back because my boiler was very noisy after this - so he came back to investigate the cause of the noise. It was either the same day, or the same evening after the first plumber came to investigate the noise, that the dripping and smell started.

The second plumber commented that anyone would know that the two outlets should be put out to vent through the roof. The first plumber had changed the flue terminal from my boiler - so he had previously been working in the loft. He came back because my boiler was very noisy after this - so he came back to investigate the cause of the noise. It was either the same day, or the same evening after the first plumber came to investigate the noise, that the dripping and smell started.
Surely coincidental. It has probably been like that years.
(In my own personal opinion)

The water dripping was relentless, and started at exactly that point. If you were working in someone's loft and saw those two pipes taped together, wouldn't you think it strange? Wouldn't you say anything to the owner?

The plumber there to look at the boiler would not have gone out of his way to join two fan outlets together, why would he? He was probably concentrating on his own job - not assessing everything else, especially if he was running over the time he'd allowed.

My loft is very small. The plumber was working in there, installing a new flue terminal and boiler outlet. He was there for hours!
I’m not saying that he didn’t do it. I am saying there is no physical proof that he did. Which means normally he didn’t. Have you asked him? Can you get pictures please?

I haven't asked him. However, the 2nd plumber indicated that the floorboards of the loft were wet in that location, so the pipes had discharged recently, and thought that the pipes had been recently sealed together. I can take photos next time I'm in the loft, though I normally have no reason to go there.

Thank you to the Dancing Plumba for letting me know about a condensation collector.

I bought this flat 6 years ago, and I've never before had any kind of water dripping from the cooker hood before. I had a new cooker hood installed in August. (The installer didn't go into the loft!)

The issue now is that because it's been waterlogged, it seems it's dangerous to use and I'm not sure how long it will take to dry out, and if it will be safe to use then, or if I'll have to replace it again.

I suspect plumber 1 may have knocked your piping install when climbing through your “small” loft he’s probably saved you a flood by causing some of this run off into the cooker hood. I bet the install has been like it for years otherwise you’d just have an open branch to your waste pipe and you’d have noticed the smell long ago. Don’t be so quick to blame

First you say it’s a small loft next you say he couldn’t have knocked it make up your mind

About 2 or 3 metres away from the flue pipe and further still from the entrance to the loft. It's a small loft and you can't accidentally knock the pipes that were joined together. You would have to decide to go to that part of the loft. It's got nothing to do with making up my mind.

All I wanted to know was how long it would take, after those pipes were sealed together, for the condensation to start dripping through the cooker chimney. And someone told me it could take a day or two. So that's my answer.

Well not really an answer because you are looking to accuse someone with no proof. I maintain as per my previous comment that if the pipe had been left open ended you’d have smelt the drain smell long ago

I think we need pics
I'm guessing if it's the flexible concertina pipe, it will have lay on the loft floor for yonks and filled with condensate from the cooker hood.
I have seen a few bathroom fan ducts with a good amount of water in over the years just because they have spent their lives lying across a loft.
There's my guess anyway with the little info I have read. What are your thoughts?

I suspect, as others have said, it has possibly been like that a while. I cannot see a Plumber or Heating Engineer taping those two ends together in all honesty.

Last plumber - thank you for your theory. I'm not sure if you read my original post? The pipe from the cooker chimney was found taped, sealed to the pipe from the waste, so that each was feeding into the other.

Yes I did read your OP. However, it is very difficult to imagine what you are looking at. I am picturing a concertina duct running across a loft and then being taped end to end onto the top of the soil and vent pipe.
I think this is why @Riley has mentioned photo's.

Reply to Cooker hood/chimney outlet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock