Search the forum,

Discuss Convert from solid fuel to LPG with combi boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Alex Goldie

Hi all,
I've just moved into a new house, it current has a solid fuel burner (kiln dried logs and / or smokeless coal nuggets) that is used for heating the radiators and providing hot water. It's my father-in-laws house that we've moved into and he's told me it's "the best" way to heat the place. I'm pretty sure when he says "best" he means "cheapest". Anyway, here's what I'm looking to do:
1 - Rip out the hot water tank and the water tank for the central heating
2 - Fit a combi boiler for both water and central heating
3 - Get a below ground LGP tank to link to the combi boiler.
4 - disconnect the pipes from the fuel burner, but leave the burner in place a feature still connected to flu.

As you might have guessed we're off grid, so mains gas isn't an option and I've been told electric boiler would cost a fortune to run. The above isn't in any sort of order since it would all be getting done at the same time, just listed that way to try and make sure I haven't missed anything. My questions are, is the above a viable option? Any idea of a ballpark / finger in the air idea of what it would cost?

Hope someone can help with this.

Thanks
Alex

Is the heating system capable of a new boiler you might end up going down a new system and rads as the old pipes might not be sound / 1 pipe system

Living in the country, then why not oil? Surely LPG is proportionately expensive. If you have access to "free " wood (i.e. the wood itself is free but you have to do the conversion from tree to 12" split, dry log) then solid fuel is a lovely way to heat the house. Nice even heat for 24hrs per day makes for a very comfortable life.
I still regret (a bit) changing from a Trianco gravity feed boiler to oil. Anthracite is cheap enough here (we are near several private drift mines with excellent coal) but age (both in our 70's) & boiler needing welding resulted in the change. Head ruling heart as it were, but I'd never be without a stand alone wood stove, as long as I'm physically capable.

Reply to Convert from solid fuel to LPG with combi boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock