Search the forum,

Discuss Continuous stream of water in waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

They are the softener inlet and outlet valves
ok its not the bogs leaking and you now know where to focus your investigations ..keep us in touch with your solution
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Have I missed something completely here? Is the water not flowing through the tundish then? If so, why are we talking about toilets and water softeners? I only ask out of interest because I'm lost on this one.

Have I missed something completely here? Is the water not flowing through the tundish then? If so, why are we talking about toilets and water softeners? I only ask out of interest because I'm lost on this one.
Yes Stig I agree but when the op just goes away we often carry on and speculate ..its not an un healthy process because from my point of view we all learn so much more ..UKPF is a really good place to give and learn in my opinion
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I suffered water in the waste pipe running intermittently.

Turned out to be a burst heat exchanger which leaked into the waste pipe.

Have you eliminated the water softener? Turn off the hard inlet and soft outlet and open the by-pass valve. It could be that the softener is stuck in regeneration mode

Following on from Frelon, my softener had a depth gauge measuring from the base of the tank. The guage was held in place in a plastic catch. It had become loose and had risen so that the fill level was above the waste out point.

Used Frelon method of checking and the software installer removed the plastic clamp so that the depth guage rested on the bottom of the tank.

Looks like you have a water softener. If so has someone turned off the power to it? If so it can stick in regeneration mode and constantly back wash. This will cause what you are hearing.
To confirm turn one of the isolating valves circled in the post above this .

Looks like you have a water softener. If so has someone turned off the power to it? If so it can stick in regeneration mode and constantly back wash. This will cause what you are hearing.
To confirm turn one of the isolating valves circled in the post above this .
Many water softeners do not need a power supply (twin tank models), so this is a red herring! You need to isolate the softener by doing what I suggested earlier. Of course this is assuming the brine from the regeneration process is passing through your problem waste pipe. We need to confirm that the softener is not stuck in regeneration.

Following on. If it is the water softener then you should be using up the salt quicker. I went through a months worth in a couple of days

I think the OP must have found the solution as he has not been back here! It would be great if we could get any feed back from the OPs as to finding the solution for the original problem!

Hello All

Thank you for the interest. No, I haven't found the solution yet. I was due to go on holiday when I posted here and didn't want to touch plumbing before leaving for holidays.

I have - however - ascertained that the water flows through even when running directly through mains - no water softener involved. (Just FYI - my water softener does require power supply) and yes, I was using quite a lot of salt because all water was just passing through the water softener and down the tundish.

Got back a couple of weeks ago and this weekend I tried to disconnect the lower Callefi valve pipe that runs through to the tundish, and turned mains on. And the water was rushing straight through the Callefi valve into the bucket.

So I believe it's the lower Callefi valve that's the problem? Is that the only problem or do you think there could be something else? Also I don't understand how it could just fail without any reason? Is there a way to 'reset' it?

Reply to Continuous stream of water in waste pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock