Search the forum,

Discuss Constant run from the cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Bremner

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice. The cistern seems to be letting a steady trickle of water into the pan, it's no biggie (I think!) but as it's an en-suite toilet it does my head in at night! :D

The cistern is one of these ones with a button flush on top, I had a chat to some friends about it and they had some ideas of their own, but I thought it wiser to come to you guys first!

Apologies for my layman's descriptions here, when I open the top, there is a white fitting in the centre of the cistern, within in that white fixture is a blue cylindrical object. To the right of the central fixture there is a float.

Any advice on any diagnostic measures to take would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Little difficult to exactly pinpoint the problem without getting up close and personal with your toilet but a good guess would be that it requires a strip and clean, could be scale or maybe the push button needs adjusting or the float valve is letting by. Does it stop when you remove the lid?

If the inlet valve is not dripping then the flush valve needs re-seating or probably replacing. Push button valves are nothing like as good as the old fashioned syphons on a handle but all close coupled WCs now come with push button and there's not much that can be done except to keep replacing the flush valve.

It's an inbuilt design to make sure they don't last forever.

Little difficult to exactly pinpoint the problem without getting up close and personal with your toilet but a good guess would be that it requires a strip and clean, could be scale or maybe the push button needs adjusting or the float valve is letting by. Does it stop when you remove the lid?

Nope keeps on going I'm afraid.

If the inlet valve is not dripping then the flush valve needs re-seating or probably replacing. Push button valves are nothing like as good as the old fashioned syphons on a handle but all close coupled WCs now come with push button and there's not much that can be done except to keep replacing the flush valve.

It's an inbuilt design to make sure they don't last forever.

Sounds a bit grim really, bit of a pain in the arse I suppose.

2 things could be happening here. If the float valve isnt shutting off properly then the water level will rise and then pass down inside the valve into the bowl. Or the drop valve is not seating. Washer worn or dirt grit preventing the seal. You should be able to twist the valve out by turning it out of the lugs (like a bulb bayonet fitting) which will expose the washer and the seat.

2 things could be happening here. If the float valve isnt shutting off properly then the water level will rise and then pass down inside the valve into the bowl. Or the drop valve is not seating. Washer worn or dirt grit preventing the seal. You should be able to twist the valve out by turning it out of the lugs (like a bulb bayonet fitting) which will expose the washer and the seat.

Thanks Gary, I'll have a peek and let you know how I get on.

I twisted the top off the drop valve, and had a peek, but should I have tried to physically try and remove the entire valve from the base of the cistern?

You need to remove the cistern from the pan. It's not a five minute job I'm afraid!

Ah ha I see! Probably not worth my while messing about with it to be honest! I'll only end up flooding the house! Cheers for the advice guys.

You need to remove the cistern from the pan. It's not a five minute job I'm afraid!
not always, you can normally just twist the top of the flush valve from the cistern coupling best way is take a picture and post it up

If you can isolate the supply easily (isolation or service valve on incoming pipe) then it shouldn't be too much of a problem if it takes a while.

1. Turn off water (isolation valve)
2. Flush WC
3. Sponge remaining water from cistern into pan
4. Undo butterfly nuts underneath
5. Unscrew cistern screws into wall behind
6. Lift off cistern
7. Make a note of how the large doughnut washer sits
8. Remove doughnut washer
9. Remove large plastic nut holding flush valve.
10. Remove flush valve.
11. Take it to plumbing merchant and buy a replacement.
12. Buy a replacement 15mm fibre washer
13. Fit flush valve as per instructions
14. Fit doughnut valve
15. Screw cistern butterfly nuts but don't tighten
16. Screw cistern back wall nuts
17. Tighten butterfly nuts and cistern wall screws making sure you don't crack cistern
18. Remove old fibre washer from infill pipe.
19. Fit new fibre washer
20. Tighten connection.
21. Turn on water
22. Check for leaks
23. Flush
24. Check for leaks
25. Go to pub to celebrate

SIMPLES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Constant run from the cistern in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My aunt asked me to have a look at her Geberit cistern which recently has suddenly stopped flushing on the short flush button. Long flush works normally as far as I can tell. This is the flush mechanism (the label suggests PN 7074-98) , please excuse the mess: Took the whole thing...
Replies
Views
I have replaced the sealing washer to a Grohe Adagio flushvalve (42137) as water was constantly leaking from the concealed cistern. It now is holding the water fine but there is a problem with the flush itself, which was not a problem previously. Flushing requires two or three presses (of the...
Replies
Views
Hello- I’m not sure what sort of cistern we have (photo attached) but the water is constantly running after flushing and it does not seem to fill. Am wondering whether this is a job I can fix myself as we are really trying to keep to social distancing at the moment. Obviously if we need to get a...
Replies
Views
OK so disclaimer – i'm a millennial who hates DIY – BUT I sincerely want to learn and acknowledge I need to get over the embarrassment of not knowing a lot. The main thing is I don't want to be ripped off by plumbers so I need to figure this stuff out. So... I have two push-button toilets both...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock