Search the forum,

Discuss Constant Air in all radiators made worse since system flush and tank clean. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ru597

Hi All,

I've recently cleaned out my fathers central heating header tank in the loft because it had about 2" of sludge at the base of it, it wasn't that deep before I added the Senitel X400 system restorer, so I presume further crap had found it's way back up to the tank? I'm getting a huge problem now with air getting into all the radiators in the house, before I would only have to bleed 3 or 4 but now it's worked it's way around all of them. He has a a Baxi Bermuda back boiler, new Grundfos pump, immersion tank in airing cupboard and an old Myson controller which looks ancient to me. When I first drained the system to refill again I had to manually tap the pipe going up the inside of the wall of the airing cupboard before the water flowed into the system, this was the only way I could get the feed to flow, also when up in the attic I listened to the open ended pipe that sits over the top of the CH tank when the heating was on and it sounded like it was sucking and gurgling? The other problem I have is that when the heating is on water continually drips out the overflow pipe? Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Ru.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to get a Heating Engineer to look at that.
It doesn't sound like a DIY task to be frank.
It sounds as though you may have a blockage but it really needs to be sorted ASAP.

Your feed pipe is obstructed allowing air to be sucked into system. Probably why old pump failed and certainly why tank overflows with heating on. Test junction of feed pipe/circulation pipework with magnet to confirm blockage. What was previously a partial block has been made worse by sludge from tank. If magnet sticks and confirms blockage, cut out and replace effected pipework at junction.

Hi,

Many thanks for all your replies they've allowed me to have a better idea of what's going on. Tried the magnet test but nothing, ran it all the way up the pipework by the tee's etc but couldn't feel any pull. What I have noticed though is that on the vertical vent in the airing cupboard on the right hand side of the pump when undone air comes out for 3 or 4 seconds then I get water, but on the vent that is tee'd vertically off the immersion cylinder the vent isn't venting any air or water? Could the crap of found it's way into the immersion coil? If so could this still cause the same symptoms? If this is the case is there anyway of clearing the coil inside the tank.

Regards

Ru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Constant Air in all radiators made worse since system flush and tank clean. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like air, and the landing radiator needs bleeding regularly (about once a month), even though it isn't the highest point in the system. The two upright rads...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I noticed some minor pumping over from the vent (occasional burst of water, and the odd dribble). Didn’t think much of it as I was about to replace the...
Replies
Views
S
Hello, So we have a two year old boiler and have cleaned / flushed the system twice recently but not all radiators will heat at the same time. All radiators have the ability to heat when the others are isolated so not likely the TRV. have been attempting to balance but seems like maybe not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock