Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting washing machine & dishwasher outlets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Have recently had a new sink fitted. The trap (is that the right word?) underneath the old sink allowed for connections from the waste outlets on both the washing machine and the dishwasher but the new fitting has only provided one outlet, currently connected to the washing machine (far right on pic).

I had hoped that I'd be able to find some sort of Y-connector, again not sure that's the right word, so that both waste outlets could be connected in the same place, but I've not been able to find anything suitable in Wickes, B&Q etc and not received any helpful advice at all there either.

Does anyone know if such a thing is available and if so where I can get it from. If not, what would be the simplest way of solving the problem.

Thanks in advance.

sink1.jpg

sink2.jpg

Many thanks for responding. Am I right in thinking that the end of the connector furthest away from the outlets is closed off. I couldn't tell from the pic on ebay.

Many thanks for responding. Am I right in thinking that the end of the connector furthest away from the outlets is closed off. I couldn't tell from the pic on ebay.

no its not it would replace one of your drop tubes eg

depending on the length

sink1.jpg

Ah, I hadn't understood that. I had been hoping there'd simply be a Y-shaped fitting available that would have 2 outlets coming in instead of 1 at the far right where the grey hose of the washing machine outlet currently connects so that the existing pipework could be left undisturbed.

Oh right, I hadn't realised that was a possibility but I can see it makes sense. As you've probably gathered I know next to nothing about these things so appreciate the info.

Replace the trap to one with a double spigot or cut a spigot in if it’s possible on the waste pipework after the double trap. I wouldn’t say you have enough room on the trap itself

I’d take a slightly different approach tbh.

I’d cut the pipe after the bend on the waste (pipe going to the drain) add a tee, then branch off two points one for washer and other for dish washer.

That’s because if the sink waste was/is blocked the place may get flooded while using the white appliances.

Have to admit to being a bit confused now as to what's the best course of action. I was going to go with replacing the drop tube on the right with a Y-connector having two spigots, one for the washing machine and the other for the dishwasher. Is that not recommended?

Reply to Connecting washing machine & dishwasher outlets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock