Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting plastic p-shaped trap to lead waste pipe?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elanmcc

I live in an old house and have a lovely cast iron bath. Just managed to remove old plug fitting without breaking bath but now have discovered that the waste pipe is lead and wider than the plastic waste pipe supplied..... How do I join them together??

Hi When you undid the trap from the bath, you would still have the trap jointed tho the lead pipe. The nut that conects it should be the same size as that which you have fitted assuming it an 11/2" waste pipe.

Unfortunately not. Seems to have been held together by some sort of hardened putty. The hardened putty crumbled and started to leak as I loosened the trap. Appears not to have been a thorough job in the first place.

If that the case. Look at the posibility of replacing the waste. It may discharge over a hopper head, into a soil pipe or back inlet gully if on ground floor. The reason being to convert the lead waste pipe to fit a plastic "P" trap you would need to bell out the end of lead waste pipe, clean it and joint into it by wiping a soldered joint a short piece of 11/2" copper tube which would the fit the trap compression connection. It not the easiest of jobs, especially on first atempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connecting plastic p-shaped trap to lead waste pipe?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Helping a friend, his soil stack is cast iron. The bath and basin wastes (all removed now) went into individual entries on the stack. These are iron pipes, with what looks like a female internal thread into which there is some sort of metal reducer with what is maybe a compression fitting...
Replies
Views
Think I know the answer is no but asking just in case. I have a solvent weld bathroom waste with lots of connectors in it that disappears into the wall with a right angle connector. There is no place to break into it to connect up a new arrangement for a new sink. So does anyone make a...
Replies
Views
Trying to connect up new 40mm waste into the old soil stack (which would be an absolute pain to remove), it's all Osma pipe, from the 70s. Pulled out the old waste from the boss and discovered the seal is pretty knackered, hardened and cracked everywhere (red coloured seal in the photo)...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors. The waste stack is internal and bricked into corner of the bathroom. I noticed paint peeling and brown staining recently at the bottom near the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm currently in the middle of first fixing the waste pipe for my freestanding bath. I've created a mock version out of plastic to determine where the waste enters down through the floor - see photo. I was just wondering is there any minimum length the pipe has to run after the trap...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock