Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting a Magna Cleanse to radiator valves in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I've just acquired a Magna Cleanse (MC) to use with a rental property I have that has a Magna Clean. Before I go to the rental property, I wanted to do a trial run at home. At home I don't have a Magna Clean due to the boiler F&R pipes being in a wall and boxed in and the boiler is outside on a wall. So keen to avoid redecoration around the boxed in pipes and I thought perhaps I would have some success by taking a radiator off and connecting the Magna Cleanse there. Certainly the radiator I took off had a lot of sludge in it, but after connecting the MC there I saw no flow through the clear pipes, all I could see was dirt suspended in the water not moving. I appreciate connecting at this point is suboptimal but surely I should get at least some flow. Valves are not blocked since water flows out of them. The only other thing I can think of is that I've introduced an air lock into the system, the MC was getting hot'ish (~40C) but I suspect that was purely via conduction rather than flow + conduction. All the remaining radiators were heating up okay.

I have a spare circulation pump which I might connect up to help with flow (hopefully I'll get it the right way round!)

I'm keen to learn how to do this for the future. Currently we simply drain down every few years and dose with inhibitor (although clearly from the look of the water we need to do it more often). What can I do to make connecting at this point with the MC work?

Attachments

• IMG_7296.JPG
    IMG_7296.JPG
    473.3 KB · Views: 9
1. Perhaps the MagnaCleanse presents a relatively high resistance to water flow, so the water is merely flowing through the other radiators as an easier option.
2. You need to fit it to flow or return, preferably return, near the boiler so that all water in the system flows through it and does not just bypass it.

Reply to Connecting a Magna Cleanse to radiator valves in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a heating system comprised of skirting radiators that form part of a loop from the boiler, round the house and back. Some rooms get warmer than others despite closing off the skirting radiator heat vent. They are designed to house the finned heating pipe and a return pipe, the latter...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator with a more mundane type 22 panel radiator. The problem is that the new radiator sort of worked in the beginning, but it does not emit any heat now...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
I am trying to install a new single vertical radiator and need to know if matters if the thermostatic valve is connected to the flow or return pipes.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock