Search the forum,

Discuss Connect old rad valves to new rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Only just recently had a Brit Gas bod here for two days, re-plumbing the airing cupboard, rodding out some pipes, replacing some plastic with copper, loads of upstairs floorboards up, fitted a filter and treated the system. It was he who recommended replacing the rads one by one as and when. This is the first one I’m changing. Yes it’s open vented but I’m wary of messing with the system too much now that he’s got all rads working again. I know I could tie up the ball valve in the loft, drain it all down and then add inhibitor before releasing the ball valve again but as I say, I’m wary of messing with it. I’m happy with the old valves at this stage. I could always change them all in one go at some time in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)
If that’s your thought then look at bunging the f&e tank. Then you’ll be able to remove the valves one at a time as you replace the rads

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give it a try next time :)
I don't see the problem. As you're happy to keep the valves, you can isolate the rad so you don't need to drain the system. Obvs a radful will come out, catch as much as much as you can, to minimise mess and so you can return it to the F/E tank (after settling out any sludge). Unscrew and re-use the rad tails with your new spanner. If the new rad is the same length, you should be able to screw the tails in so the overall length is the same, but there's likely to be a few mm play in the pipes anyway. If to get the right length you need to stop before the tail is dead tight you might be better off with PTFE tape (plenty of it) rather than paste, but the pros here might correct me on that.

There isn’t one. I’m doing exactly as you suggested in the rest of your post.

My response to Riley was with regard to changing the valves.
OK thanks. If you do eventually drain down and change the valves, I'm sure you won't do it this time of year, wait till the summer!

I’ve only just realised that I rudely never updated this thread.

Using my shiny new radiator spanner I was able to swap the tails from the old rad to the new, connect up with a sliding extender on one end and the job was a good ‘un. Thanks for the help guys :)

Reply to Connect old rad valves to new rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock