Search the forum,

Discuss Conflicting advice from different gas engineers, confused! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I'm posting here really for a second opinion as we're a bit confused right now! I'll try and be brief. We're renovating a house which we've completely stripped back, as part of the renovations we had a local gas engineer company come out and run new pipework for our gas supply, hot and cold and flow and return to the location where the boiler will be re-installed and where our rads wil go upstairs. Downstairs heating is through an UFH system which is installed and ready to be connected up.

We've just had a different gas enginner company come out to re-fit the boiler (a Worcester Bosch 30i Combi) and he's noticed the orignal company used 15mm copper pipe for the upstairs rads. His opinion is the "back bone" should have been in 22mm with 15mm coming off this for each rad. I don't belive he was touting for work and his comments seemed genuine, his reasoning (forgive me on my limited knowledge) was that the boiler wouldn't be able to cope with powering the UFH downstairs and the upstairs rads if they were both on high at the same time. The system would work using 15mm but long term could develop problems. The company that originally completed the pipework have said that because the property is small and the rads are small that it should be fine as the UFH has a separate pump and the boiler will just be powering the 3 rads.

A few points:

• The run from the boiler location to the furtherest rad is about 15m.
  • The upstairs rads are: 1 x 2,792 BTU's (818 Watts), 1 x 4,725 BTU's (1,385 Watts) & 2510 BTU's (736 Watts)
  • The UFH system is split up into 2 zones (21m2 & 13m2).

Is there a right or wrong answer to this or it just the personal preference of the engineer?

Any adivce would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

It’s best practice that he’s suggested I would of done the same eg installed 22mm mains if it’s new

Reply to Conflicting advice from different gas engineers, confused! in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
N
Hi! We're looking for a consult for our 1905 built (renovated in 2010) victorian house for the future of our heating system. The house is 2 floors and runs 2 different systems and hot water. On the ground floor we have water based underfloor heating with a mix of tile and wood floors with...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all, looking for some advice please. So I've got a 25 year old Ideal classic NF40 boiler. We live in a naturally warm house so only have the heating and water on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night. The last week or so we've noticed it's stinking of gas on start up. Pilot light is...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
    • Informative
All advice appreciated. I've made a number of bad decisions & trying to stop the flow. I used a small plumbing company (one man band but supplies all trades) that had installed two bathrooms for me previously with satisfactory results. Therefore, I had a combi boiler installed last week...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock