Search the forum,

Discuss Condenser boiler install looks to be unsafe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everybody I am new to this group and I am not a gas engineer but have some basic plumbing experience.
Anyway, I have recently bought a house and the previous owner had a worcester 28i greenstar boiler fitted in 2011 by British Gas. There is paperwork to suggest it has been serviced on a regular basis, but in my inexperienced view the install looks to be unsafe.
I will attempt to add a photo of the install and I hope somebody will comment on what they think my concern may be, and if it is anything that needs rectifying.
Thanks.
IMG_20190508_161102.jpg
IMG_20190508_161102.jpg
IMG_20190508_161102.jpg

What’s wrong ?

Min 25mm from a gas pipe

As for elecs don’t come under gas safe but that will be picked up in your ecir

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
My concern was the electrics being placed underneath the boiler. I had thought that common sense would be to have electricity away from the risk of a possibly water leak directly on to it. But if it isn't a problem I've nothing to worry about.

True they would be better higher up but by the looks space it at a premium

Get them moved maybe update the controls while your at it eg Honeywell t6r or nest etc

I ain't no spark (thank god!) And I am not sure if it's covered in regs but pushing the cable thru the wall and wiring the plug on the other side always seems to me dangerous. if the cable gets pulled on the other side of that wall it'll compromise the plug connections. Just a thought. (Even with a bit of tubing and a cable tie on it !!)

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
My concern was the electrics being placed underneath the boiler. I had thought that common sense would be to have electricity away from the risk of a possibly water leak directly on to it. But if it isn't a problem I've nothing to worry about.
Look at this way most boilers have their PCB towards the bottom of the case so is definitely a poor design but there’s nothing you can do about them. Your sockets etc look a bit close but nothing to lose sleep over. Easily moved should it worry you that much

It's been there for eight years with no obvious signs of any leaks, shorting or fire in that time. Perhaps though in future redirect or lose the plug coming through the wall and that'll give you some room to move the receiver and spur from underneath the boiler.
You maybe able to move it to the left but the existing site was chosen due to it's vicinity to the mains.

Last edited:
Is the plug through the wall for some other appliance? It looks like the new fused spur is from the socket? You could have them move by a competent person, they are too close to under the boiler really. It looks as if you have an internal leak from the boiler but a gas safe engineer will look at that for you.

Yeah the cable through the wall isn't the best, it used to be connected to a shed the previous owner had down the side of the house. It's all disconnected now just needs pulling back through. Thanks for all the reply I think I'll look into getting the electrics moved somewhere close by.

Reply to Condenser boiler install looks to be unsafe. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock