Search the forum,

Discuss Condensation on toilet cistern - Is there a cure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jazz

I have recently moved into a new property and there is a problem with condensation building up on the outside of a low level toilet cistern. The cistern is manufactured of plastic is there another material that can be used or another cure?

is the bathroom vented? and is there a radiator os means of heating there, get caleed to so many properties these days because of this, widows all closed "to keep the heat in" , no fan fitted , so no means of condensation to escape, no ventalation , and no heat in bathroom, we fit "envirovents" in our properties at work, think this could solve your problem , or buying a insulated cistern, have seen people boxing them in and stuffing attic insulation around them, seems to work!

Dont know how good the fans controlled with a humidistat are. I just tend to go for a long run on period.

I have recently moved into a new property and there is a problem with condensation building up on the outside of a low level toilet cistern. The cistern is manufactured of plastic is there another material that can be used or another cure?
heres one that definitely works.
Open window now and again.
turn heating on.
flush toilet less!
Seriously, its nothing to worry about, it's probably on an outside wall ( cold) with little ventilation. At this time of year the cold water cooling the cistern meets the warm heated air and condenses .

Heating is on and the bathroom is warm. I do keep the window open during the daytime but it is to cold in the evening to keep the window open. The cistern is fitted on the outside wall of the bathroom.
I never had this problem in my previous property and that had a much colder bathroom, it is a problem because water is dripping off the cistern onto a lower shelf.
Would a "Tri-shell" type cistern be of any benefit?

A lot of modern bathroom pottery suffers from this as it is now a lot thinner it's always the cisterns that suffer I have come across some that have been painted inside with damp proof paint not sure if it works.as others have said it's a lot to do with ventilation .

Look in to possible sources of "Steam" , open plan kitchen ( No kitchen extractor fan )
lots of steam from cooking , vented tumble drier -gunked up , long hot showers .

as others have mentioned , more ventilation / heating may be needed .

If other property had any Open flue devices , all that air probably kept damp at bay !

(What does not condense on cistern may end up on a Cold Wall ! )

Last edited:
Would a "Tri-shell" type cistern be of any benefit?

Yes, it would help, but only in terms of masking the worst symptoms.

Your problem is excess humidity. The condensation on the cistern is a symptom, not a cause.

Better ventilation is the key.

Never seen one over here, but the yanks fit 'anti-sweat' valves on the inlet, just a low temp blending valve from what I can make out to raise water temp in cistern.

Checked humidity and it's 55%, that's with a closed window which isn't too bad. The condensation starts in the evening, the cold water is ice cold this time of the year and the heating comes on in the evening, so perhaps this is triggering the condensation?

If the cistern is mains fed, then this time of year especially, the water coming in will be only above freezing. Air in your house will always contain moisture & will condense when it hits the cistern.
Letting air from outside, although good for ventilation, has the problem of also letting more moisture in!
It's the same as lifting a tin of cold beer out of your fridge & water from nowhere suddenly appears on the tins surface.
All you can do is have slight ventilation, try to avoid drying clothes, unvented cooking etc to cause more damp & get air-conditioning if you can afford.
Or get the toilet fed from an insulated cold storage tank.

Hi, yes there is a solution, drain out the cistern completely, dry the inside surfaces and stick on a polystirene insulation, or the insulation used for the back of radiators.

Ive seen this mostly on mains fed cisterns, but the last one is from a tank.
The pipes run outside insulated to the adjoining building then enter the boiler house before going down into this basemement toilet. There was condensation on the pipe in the boiler house. Turns out the tanks where only refilling
and the fresh water was running straight down and condensing at every opportunity.

it wont as rising main temp 5 degrees tank temp approx 10 degrees + Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensation on toilet cistern - Is there a cure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock