Search the forum,

Discuss Condensate pump on all the time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barneyjoe

Hi,

I have an Altech Alcon PM condensate pump a few feet underneath my boiler. It has been activating approximately every 5 seconds for most of the day. I don't have a clue why or what it is even for, but this is not usual for my house and wondered if anyone could suggest a cure? Looking at it, I can see (there is a clear plastic pipe) that there is a flow of water coming down into it from the boiler above.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!!

Thanks and regards
BarneyJoe

If water is flowing continually out of the boiler when it is not firing the heat exchange is leaking

There is a problem with the boiler causing the larger than average amount of water to enter the condensate pump. Suggest the find a plumber section within this forum before the pump possibly overheats and stops whilst it cools down or have a bucket ready for when it does. Not a plumber so can`t advise beyond this.

Barney,

Send some photos of the pump and the boiler if you can, lets have a look

Which isn't a diy job. could be anything from hex as haps said, to a dodgy pump.

You'll be needing a gsr.

Croppie,

Water shouldn't be flowing continuously from the boiler, sounds like the pump is doing its job or there would be blood on the floor, this could be one of those new boilers that makes gallons water from nothing and heats the house, must have one and its made in two versions plastic and copper :73:

Tony

Is water running out with the boiler turned off Barney Joe????

Last edited by a moderator:
Croppie,

Water shouldn't be flowing continuously from the boiler, sounds like the pump is doing its job or there would be blood on the floor, this could be one of those new boilers that makes gallons water from nothing and heats the house, must have one and its made in two versions plastic and copper :73:

Tony

Give you that one Tony, missed that bit.

Still needs a gsr though.

So there!

Give you that one Tony, missed that bit.

Still needs a gsr though.

So there!

Nay lad still a plain and simple plumbing job below the boiler, see you in court Croppie, especially if there is a tun-dish, that bit of pipe between the bottom of the tun-dish may not be off limits, have a think about it.:death:

Guys, two minutes - just need photos to upload.

Croppie,

Photos on their way, I love photos you can see the crap plumbing then, I can't wait... come on nearly teatime Barney, still need an answer on the boiler off still leaking water question its important, i'll tell you why when I see the photos

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
:film::film:Hey Croppie,

When people have problems they could give us video we would solve things much quicker.

Guys, Don't know why images have rotated! I have attached the pictures but not sure if they help at all. Any further ideas and anything I can do tonight? Thanks

First one is a general picture of the boiler which is a couple of years old.
Second is the boiler again but with a clear pipe to right of the electrical cables closest to the boiler. This cable goes upstairs to a tank in the eaves of the house.
Third is the Altech Altcon PM pump located in a space under the boiler

photo.jpgphoto(1).jpgphoto(2).jpg

Tony, I'll see your tundish and raise you a hex.

Croppie you know and I know that that 22mm overflow could just be lifted enough to see how much water is coming out of the boiler, Barney has still not told us if the pumps is pumping water out with the boiler turned off, we ask people questions to narrow down the problem but if we don't get the answers we can't help.

I have the same boiler at home and I can only think if its not the heat exchanger that leaking it could be that still PLASTIC turn key vent on top of the heat exchanger that might be leaking.

or most likely the 10mm clear pipe coming out of the pump is kinked and is obstruction the water to get out and flow switch keeps switching on and very small amount of condense is let out each time is pumping

if i am not wrong i think the pump over 1l of water on each time they go of

or most likely the 10mm clear pipe coming out of the pump is kinked and is obstruction the water to get out and flow switch keeps switching on and very small amount of condense is let out each time is pumping

if i am not wrong i think the pump over 1l of water on each time they go of

That's why I asked the question " does the pump run with the boiler turned off " you might be right with your theory

Is water running out with the boiler turned off Barney Joe????

I have fixed it for the moment. I traced the pipe to near the tank upstairs where it went into an overflow and out of the house. There was no water at the top so I looked again downstairs and noticed that the water being pumped up was actually falling back and never making upstairs to the overflow.

I took the lid off the condensate pump and the reservoir was quite full so I emptied that. Problem solved......at least for now, but it begs the question of why it couldn't pump up and out? Are the pipes blocked or is the pump on it's last legs?
I'll find a way to check the pipe but i don't know anything about pumps.

For the moment, I'll drain it by hand if it starts acting up.

Thanks for all the suggestions and very quick responses, it was much appreciated!

Kind regards
Barney

Can't see any kinks and clear pipe is secured so difficult for kinks to be introduced, but it may be blocked.

Sounds like the pump is shot and can't raise the water to the outlet if the boiler starts condensing and the pump can't handle it it will be all over the floor you will know.

If the water is being pumped up but running back down as you say then EITHER the non-return valve is faulty OR the motor is now weak and unable to pump to the required height as it used to.

Forgive my ignorance, but why does the boiler need to condense? Any idea what circumstances are likely to cause this, so I will know to be monitoring the pump just in case?

I take it that the non-return valve is in the pump and so either way, it sounds like a replacement is needed. Is that right?

If the water is being pumped up but running back down as you say then EITHER the non-return valve is faulty OR the motor is now weak and unable to pump to the required height as it used to.

if nrv at fault then hose will have no water and it will over fill

The non-return valve will be either built in to the discharge of the pump OR very close to the bottom section of the discharge pipe and it may only need cleaning or possibly just replace the non-return valve only before buying a new pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensate pump on all the time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock