Search the forum,

Discuss Condensate in cast iron pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there

I'm looking to run a 32mm condensate into cast iron with a mcalpine mechanical boss adaptor. I need to make a 57mm hole and was wondering what's the best tool to use for it. The 57mm holesaws I can see say they do sheet metal but will they do the job on cast iron?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1. A decent bi-metal hole saw (e.g. Starrett) will do it. Run the hole saw slowly - no more than 500 rpm and preferably a good bit less. The outer "skin" of the cast iron may be quite hard, but it is thin, and once through it it the iron is easier to drill than mild steel.
2. Condensate will attack the cast iron, as Undertrained has said. It is very mildly acidic, about the same acidity as Cola, and should have a much slower impact on cast iron than on copper. As long as it goes in below one or more much used connections (WC, bath etc) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Reply to Condensate in cast iron pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock