Search the forum,

Discuss CONCERN AROUND PLUMBING METHOD in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, my bathroom fitters installed this plastic pipe as a feed to the new radiator, i'm slight concerned because it is bent over the wooden beam and at a strange angle. We're having a tiled floor so i'd hate for a leak and have to rip up the tiles. Can anyone advise whether this should be cause for concern?

Thanks,

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 17.14.15.png

Screenshot 2019-05-24 at 17.14.27.png

That is just poor workmanship. It may not leak, but if it was my bathroom I would want it properly aligned so that there is no strain on the “o” ring speed-fit style joints.

Obviously there is the risk that some one nails through the pipe if the floorboard is not clearly marked when it is reinstalled

Thank you Brambles. Am i within my rights to ask him to change it? I assume the correct method would be to drill through the beam and put a straight piece in?

Thank you Brambles. Am i within my rights to ask him to change it? I assume the correct method would be to drill through the beam and put a straight piece in?

He may not change it, but would express your concerns to them. I don’t see any reason why copper was not used when it has been on the other pipe? This would be able to overcome the issue, imo.

I wouldn’t like that under my floor , especially if its tiled . The pipe is fine but both elbows will be stressed and knowing them things they may decide to unscrew themselves.

The other pipe is copper because it was already there from the old radiator, it’s only the fact that the new radiator isn’t as wide that they’ve had to put that plastic piece in. Hopefully they will change it if I ask nicely!

The other pipe is copper because it was already there from the old radiator, it’s only the fact that the new radiator isn’t as wide that they’ve had to put that plastic piece in. Hopefully they will change it if I ask nicely!

Hopefully :)

Shouldn’t really have fittings under floor where they will be inaccessible. I would insist on soldered on both sides

Most of you would hate new builds then. Plastic fittings are perfectly acceptable under floors and that pipe work is fine imo.

Yes copper is more accepted as the better method but they haven’t done anything ‘wrong’ here.

The pipe does look strained though,IMO.

Seen many many badly soldered joints weeping too, push fit is ok to use, looks like your man has taken advantage of a notch in the joist to slot the plastic into and it’s a tad too close to the top for the bulky pushfit elbows.

Appalling, and yet done using simple to use plastic pipe with push fit.
They could have drilled the joists and installed pipes without leaving strain on them.

Most of you would hate new builds then. Plastic fittings are perfectly acceptable under floors and that pipe work is fine imo.

Yes copper is more accepted as the better method but they haven’t done anything ‘wrong’ here.

I'm a copper man myself but you are 100% right the fittings if installed right are not a problem. I've used plastic on numerous occasions mainly new builds etc and I very rarely have a problem with it.

It's just copper is neater and looks more professional.

JG specifically state you should not stress any joint. Whilst you can 'set' plastic pipe its tendency is to return to its reel form so eventually it ends up 'stressing' the joints. The also say each can accommodate 5 degrees from straight without compromise. I would not do what the installer has done there simply to save two elbows.

It looks like the notch in the joist is not deep enough (but cutting it deeper may not be an option depending on the size of the joist). If it was in soldered copper it looks like it would be fine. He could have drilled the joist but not under the notch obviously.

The installation does not contradict any design principle, the whole idea of plastic pipe work is because of its flexability to make installs easier. There is no stress on the joints, and the pipes designed to bend slightly.

You don’t see much “pride in work” these days but plenty to be seen in really old work (when times were different). A while ago I had a gas fire removed (by a gas man) and the floorboard where the union was mounted had to be lifted to cap the pipe under the floor. The floorboard had a mitre on it (no crude butt joint) to make it fit perfectly. So elegant from a tradesman long gone. I smiled and thought of him whoever he may be, great job.

You don’t see much “pride in work” these days but plenty to be seen in really old work (when times were different). A while ago I had a gas fire removed (by a gas man) and the floorboard where the union was mounted had to be lifted to cap the pipe under the floor. The floorboard had a mitre on it (no crude butt joint) to make it fit perfectly. So elegant from a tradesman long gone. I smiled and thought of him whoever he may be, great job.
We don't have time for such nonsense these days. Rag the board up with a wrecking bar and jobs a good un :D

Couple of years ago we had to move a rad in a golfclub with parquet flooring. Someone had done it before us and 'sh1te' goes nowhere near far enough to describe the mess they left the floor in. Because we carefully used a multitool to get access, it took the 4 tries to identify our access. #Proud. Buggers still took 2 months to pay tho :(

The tail on the left is fine, I’d have the tail a bit longer so that the pushfit elbow isn’t pressed up against the floor.
The tail on the right, again lower into the void and then that pipe going through the centre of joist.
But honestly what’s been done is perfectly acceptable.

The tail on the left is fine, I’d have the tail a bit longer so that the pushfit elbow isn’t pressed up against the floor.
The tail on the right, again lower into the void and then that pipe going through the centre of joist.
But honestly what’s been done is perfectly acceptable.

It passes as acceptable to modern thinking, but it is basically as quick and nasty and least skilled job done.
I would always take the extra time needed to install soldered copper, which sometimes is only a couple extra minutes.
Removing water from existing pipes and draining/refilling is the only costly time, but often still needed when using push fit

Reply to CONCERN AROUND PLUMBING METHOD in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock