Search the forum,

Discuss Concealed thermostatic mixer long term maintenance in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I installed Jaquar Fusion thermostatic bath shower mixers during a conversion in 2007. I let the properties out. They have lasted pretty well with the thermostatic and diverter cartridges needing replacing every now and again - some are possibly still the original. Can't really complain about them other than customer service having been a bit sketchy and only one supplier of parts. Anyhow, my plumbers really don't like exchanging parts this and always say the whole unit including the body should be replaced, which is obviously pretty intrusive. They also recommend exposed fittings for reasons which I understand but I prefer concealed.

My plumbers are definitely of the "always rip it out and replace it" mindset which is often probably right but also sometimes questionable.

How long can thermostatic bath shower diverters be expected to last and remain serviceable without changing the body? And what are the best concealed valves for long term reliability and ease of serviceability?

Entirely depends on amount of use, water quality and pressure.
So I’m afraid there’s not a simple numerical answer.

I agree with @Ben-gee. Also, castings are made of soft material, which means there can be a limit to the number of times the cartridges can be replaced unless it's done very carefully.

If you are replacing, my favourite brand for shower mixers is Mira. I've always found their quality and spares availability to be excellent even for models that are decades old.

Hans grohe iboxes and select series are very good all bras and 15 year parts availability

Hans grohe iboxes and select series are very good all bras and 15 year parts availability
Thanks - when I first heard of these I mistakenly thought they were designed so that the body could be removed and replaced from the front. That would be amazing!

Thanks - when I first heard of these I mistakenly thought they were designed so that the body could be removed and replaced from the front. That would be amazing!

All the controls side can be the bit that’s left in the wall is a solid block of brass with ports in

All the controls side can be the bit that’s left in the wall is a solid block of brass with ports in
Is that much different though to what I have at the moment where the thermostatic and diverter cartridges can (in theory) be replaced? I think what the others are saying above is that the body itself wears?

Is that much different though to what I have at the moment where the thermostatic and diverter cartridges can (in theory) be replaced? I think what the others are saying above is that the body itself wears?

I highly doubt that would wear as there’s no moving parts on the brass block

Agree.

But if they’re a bit pricey, I quite like some of the Bristan stuff.

Agree but it only stings once, agree bristan is good or grohe

I highly doubt that would wear as there’s no moving parts on the brass block
I guess this is the point I was making about the fittings I already have. The moving parts are all still available. But I'm being told that the brass body is not up to receiving replacement parts (they mentioned corrosion). These are in 2 bed flats with max 2 occupancy so usage is not going to be excessive.

I can’t see why not guess they don’t like repairing stuff

Reply to Concealed thermostatic mixer long term maintenance in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock