Search the forum,

Discuss Compression Slip coupling for 1" female to 22mm copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm adding a shower pump to a vented hot water system. I have an unused secondary tapping on the hot water tank, a 1" brass female fitting and I was planning to use this to provide the hot water feed to the adjacent shower pump in 22mm copper. I want to position the end of the copper pipe so it's roughly at the centre of the cylinder to avoid air bubbles from the coil as recommended by the pump manufacturer, so I wonder is it possible to get a compression fitting that screws into the 1" female fitting but allows the 22mm pipe to slide through into the tank while the olive seals the joint at the fitting ? It is a bit like using an essex flange, but avoiding cutting another hole into the cylinder ?

You could file the stop shoulder out of the standard fitting to make a slip fitting.
But why bother, you should only get air problems at the top of the cylinder.

Put a 28mm x 1" MI compression fitting into the female cylinder tapping.

Then get a 28mm x 22mm fitting reducer - the longest tail you can find - and solder about 9" of 22mm tube to the 22mm end, and solder a 28mm socket to the other end. Only seat the reducer about halfway into the 28mm socket. You need to leave as much 28mm fitting exposed as you can, consistent with it not leaking.

Push the 22mm end into the cylinder through the 28mm x 1" compression fitting, and you should be able to tighten the olive onto the exposed bit of the 28 x 22 fitting.

Quicker to do than to describe!

Last edited by a moderator:
You could file the stop shoulder out of the standard fitting to make a slip fitting.
But why bother, you should only get air problems at the top of the cylinder.

I'm with you, but according to the pump manufacturer the water coming up from the coil in the cylinder is full of air bubbles which will damage the pump !

Put a 28mm x 1" MI compression fitting into the female cylinder tapping.

Then get a 28mm x 22mm fitting reducer - the longest tail you can find - and solder about 9" of 22mm tube to the 22mm end, and solder a 28mm socket to the other end. Only seat the reducer about halfway into the 28mm socket. You need to leave as much 28mm fitting exposed as you can, consistent with it not leaking.

Push the 22mm end into the cylinder through the 28mm x 1" compression fitting, and you should be able to tighten the olive onto the exposed bit of the 28 x 22 fitting.

Quicker to do than to describe!

Thanks Ray, it sounds complicated ! Is the reducer an end feed part ? Then the 28mm socket, what is that ?
Thanks
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Compression Slip coupling for 1" female to 22mm copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have seen people speaking of this and others not understanding. I have a leak in my pipe coming from the main. Attaching a new 1/2" coupling to the 1/2" pipe (blue pipe) is a problem as the coupling is larger than the pipe although both are 1/2". Most people do not realize that there are...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, hope all is well! I’ve fitted a compression cap on two of my shower mixer copper pipes (15mm). One of them has scratches and burring and is very slightly out of shape. It leaked but I added some PFTE tape over the olive and it seems to of done the job. However… I’m tiling the wall and...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm blanking a couple of openings in a hot water cylinder. The Screwfix Flomasta 1" BSP plugs fit perfectly but no washer supplied or listed. Given that the element has a washer and everything else is a compression fitting I'm concerned these should have one. The alternative is PTFE...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2 my ch boiler, non condensing is playing up, I can get hot water, but when heating is on pipes only get hot for 1st mtre or so? I can hear feel the...
Replies
Views
I fitting a new Mira shower in a slightly different position in the bathroom. It’s going to be easier to feed it with cold water from main cold cylinder feed and from a connection to the hot water cylinder expansion pipe. These are just above the shower position. the pipes are both 22mm and I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock