Search the forum,

Discuss Compression fitting value blown off from the pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

I installed 2 compression valve fitting for my kitchen sink about 10 days ago, after I cut off the 2 old valve with pipe. I put teflon tape around the olive after I found leaks from the fitting(which had been proven wrong!), with oil around the thread. It had been working fine until this morning. The water burst out at early morning and the valve of the cold water supply was completely blown off. So no need to say water was everywhere.... Then, I cut the pipe for another half inch, slightly sanded the outside of the pipe and debrided the inside and tube to make the pipe cut smooth and flat. I replaced the olive, and this time I did not use Teflon tape. So the valve now is in working condition again. I use a small wrench (from ikea kit) and a big wrench to tight it about 1/2 turn after hand tight. It was hard to get tighter though I can if needed. So my question is how to tell if the fitting is tight enough that it not blow off again? The water is not leaking now, so I assume the seal is tight. But how to tell the fitting is tight enough with the pipe? I really don't want the fitting blow off again...… Here is the picture of the valve I am using.

Thanks.
1575996351906.png

Needs to be tighter I would say 3/4 - 1 turn I would say

Sounds like you may need a better set of spanners

Is the olive brass or copper ? , if brass it will need more tightening.
The olive is made by brass. I was afraid to get it too tight to break the seal. Now it seems water is slowly leaking from the pipe seal with the valve. I will try to get it another 1/4 turn by using a larger wrench.
[automerge]1576001560[/automerge]
Needs to be tighter I would say 3/4 - 1 turn I would say

Sounds like you may need a better set of spanners
I tightened it 1/2 as the instructions come with the fittings. I ended up to use the olive I purchased separately. As I use a flex pipe to connect the 3/8 inch outlet. Do I need to concern that the fitting may slide up while tightening the valve?

Last edited:
The olive is made by brass. I was afraid to get it too tight to break the seal. Now it seems water is slowly leaking from the pipe seal with the valve. I will try to get it another 1/4 turn by using a larger wrench.

I tightened it 1/2 as the instructions come with the fittings. I ended up to use the olive I purchased separately. As I use a flex pipe to connect the 3/8 inch outlet. Do I need to concern that the fitting may slide up while tightening the valve?

No aslong as it’s fully on when you install it

Tighten it up unless you accidentally lift it up when tighten it shouldn’t rise / move

Plumb Zero years of experience making mistakes and leaks , we on here all carry that burden. Your best way forwards ...which will hurt..is to take it all apart clean all the connections and try again be absolutely accurate re using the fittings. chking
thats what I have told my younger fellas when they got grumpy

This flexi pipe got an insert?
(post is awaiting clearance should somebody else post the same Q)

Hello,

I installed 2 compression valve fitting for my kitchen sink about 10 days ago, after I cut off the 2 old valve with pipe. I put teflon tape around the olive after I found leaks from the fitting(which had been proven wrong!), with oil around the thread. It had been working fine until this morning. The water burst out at early morning and the valve of the cold water supply was completely blown off. So no need to say water was everywhere.. Then, I cut the pipe for another half inch, slightly sanded the outside of the pipe and debrided the inside and tube to make the pipe cut smooth and flat. I replaced the olive, and this time I did not use Teflon tape. So the valve now is in working condition again. I use a small wrench (from ikea kit) and a big wrench to tight it about 1/2 turn after hand tight. It was hard to get tighter though I can if needed. So my question is how to tell if the fitting is tight enough that it not blow off again? The water is not leaking now, so I assume the seal is tight. But how to tell the fitting is tight enough with the pipe? I really don't want the fitting blow off again...… Here is the picture of the valve I am using.

Thanks.
View attachment 41805
Sorry I didn’t mention that the water supply line is 1/2 inch copper. Does it make any difference?

No difference aslong as the shut off valve is suitable for 1/2”

No difference aslong as the shut off valve is suitable for 1/2”
Thank you all for all the insights. I used a set of wrenches tighten it another 1/5 to 1/4 turn until I can hardly make it tighter without harder force. The valve have not been leak through the afternoon before I made it tighter. I hope this time it will not blow out the fitting. Attached are some pics of the installed valve.

Attachments

• 1059FE5C-794E-418B-A105-411EDDAB0C3E.jpeg
    1059FE5C-794E-418B-A105-411EDDAB0C3E.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 8
  • CA68651F-30C9-4AD9-AD7F-53E14F054504.jpeg
    CA68651F-30C9-4AD9-AD7F-53E14F054504.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 0B918B54-54B4-4EF4-80B0-D4DC97C9AE03.jpeg
    0B918B54-54B4-4EF4-80B0-D4DC97C9AE03.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 8
  • D149AABB-E793-4EE0-9701-020EC8F6F9ED.jpeg
    D149AABB-E793-4EE0-9701-020EC8F6F9ED.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 9
.. Looks ok to me :) ..

Thank you. The next question I have is do I need to redo the hot water supply valve? I used Teflon tape to wrap the pipe and the olive before I installed though the tape used on the hot water supply valve is much less than I used on the valve of cold water supply (the one blown off). Currently the valve has no leakage and function good. Does the hot water supply pipe has same pressure as the cold water supply? I am attaching some pics of the hot water supply valve.
.. Looks ok to me :) ..

Attachments

• BCAB6E62-E4F9-417F-915D-87ADE37FEF89.jpeg
    BCAB6E62-E4F9-417F-915D-87ADE37FEF89.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 75825190-1DDD-4F54-8993-1D4E48D532C3.jpeg
    75825190-1DDD-4F54-8993-1D4E48D532C3.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3DE458EA-5DDF-43E1-99F8-86CB1ECA1B86.jpeg
    3DE458EA-5DDF-43E1-99F8-86CB1ECA1B86.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 4
Is it the same tightness as the cold if so I would leave it as it’s not leaking

Reply to Compression fitting value blown off from the pipe in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock