Search the forum,

Discuss Complete novice needs help. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I think I initially posted this in the wrong place,so I am adding it here. I hope someone can help

Hey all

I know this kind of post has probs bin posted before, but I am at my wits end. My landlord is abroad, and with Covid I'm trying to sort out something before the expense of a plumber.

So I am hoping someone will be kind enough to give me some advice.

Basically my kitchen sink has been blocked, water not going down. So I tried plunger, One Shot type liquid, even bicarbonate of soda with vinegar. No luck.

And here is where my problems really began.

You probably know where I'm going but I googled it, found lots of sites saying 'before you use a plumber...'
All advising me to unscrew the u bend, (sorry if my terminology is wrong) clean out any sludge, screw it all back in. I did all of that.

The problem is, that when I put it all back together, and turn tap on, the pipe which is supposed to fit snugly onto the pipe which carries the water out, no longer fits snuggly, and so water gushes out of there.

There was no leaking prior to me undoing it all. This, logically tells me that I am not pushing the pipe into the main one properly, or I'm missing a vital component (ie upon taking it apart I've lost something)

Its not that it doesn't fit at all, its just when I push it to fit, it fits but sort of hangs,unlike say the other bits that have a tight washer

I have attached a photo of the pipe which carries the water out,and the end of the u bend pipe which no longer slots in so that it's watertight.

I am just wondering if I am missing something fundamental, or I could buy a fitting to make it fit tighter. I've bought heavy duty gaffer tape.

Any help is much appreciated. I have a bucket so its not like I can't use the sink at all.

Thanks all.

Attachments

I think I initially posted this in the wrong place,so I am adding it here. I hope someone can help

Hey all

I know this kind of post has probs bin posted before, but I am at my wits end. My landlord is abroad, and with Covid I'm trying to sort out something before the expense of a plumber.

Basically my kitchen sink has been blocked, water not going down. So I tried plunger, One Shot type liquid, even bicarbonate of soda with vinegar. No luck.

You probably know where I'm going but I googled it, found lots of sites saying 'before you use a plumber...'
All advising me to unscrew the u bend, (sorry if my terminology is wrong) clean out any sludge, screw it all back in. I did all of that.

The problem is, that when I put it all back together, and turn tap on, the pipe which is supposed to fit snugly onto the pipe which carries the water out, no longer fits snuggly, and so water gushes out of there.

There was no leaking prior to me undoing it all. This, logically tells me that I am not pushing the pipe into the main one properly, or I'm missing a vital component (ie upon taking it apart I've lost something)

Its not that it doesn't fit at all, its just when I push it to fit, it fits but sort of hangs,unlike say the other bits that have a tight washer

I have attached a photo of the pipe which carries the water out,and the end of the u bend pipe which no longer slots in so that it's watertight.

I am just wondering if I am missing something fundamental, or I could buy a fitting to make it fit tighter. I've bought heavy duty gaffer tape.

Any help is much appreciated. I have a bucket so its not like I can't use the sink at all.

Thanks all.

Attachments

A good Mcalpine fitting would be what I,d be using.But I,m probably doing a local plumber out of Business.Basically If you want it sorted call a plumber.
What do you do for a living which pays your bills?

Hi,thank you for taking the time to reply.

In answer to your question, my work is call centre based, or it was. I'm currently living week to week as I applied for universal credit. I know this is a job for a plumber. If I could afford one, trust me I would.
My landlord is not getting back to me. So here I am.

If I could ask, is this not already a Macadam fitting? (I know my first pics were not as clear).

And this other photo shows how tight the 45 degree angle is, so little room to maneuver once it is all screwed in.

Again, any help appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_172358065.jpg
    IMG_20200418_172358065.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200418_174803.jpg
    IMG_20200418_174803.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200418_172358065.jpg
    IMG_20200418_172358065.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 8

Hey all

Thanks all.

Attachments

Take a picture of all the bits on the floor. I take it you have a plug hole which has a thread on it under the sink, then you will have a trap with a big white nut on the top which screws onto the thread under the sink. These traps can be s shaped or p shaped or bottle shaped. There will be some more nuts and some black rubber rings and red fibre washers about the same size....is this familiar
Centralheatking

Thinking that you are missing the black rubber cone washer.
Correct sequence should be nut on pipe followed by red or blue plastic backing washer then the rubber cone washer with smaller face facing the trap.
Insert pipe into the trap, push cone washer into trap then the plastic washer and nut tightens to compress rubber cone.

Thank you for your reply. And for the person above (Been a while since I've used a forum)

I've had to Google but I see the black cone you talk of.

Unless I've absent mindedly thrown it out when I first unscrewed all of this, there wasn't one attached.

What is baffling me is that there was no leak, I unscrewed it because of a blockage. Upon reassembling it, it doesn't seal in the water .

Anyway as requested I have taken photo of,the set up all screwed in, and individual pipe and trapper.

You can see what was left of a rubber 'band'
From the front on it looks like there is another band in the groove around the pipe. However what that is, is grey gaffer tape which was evidently slotted in there by whoever has refitted this the last time.

Thinking that you are missing the black rubber cone washer.
Correct sequence should be nut on pipe followed by red or blue plastic backing washer then the rubber cone washer with smaller face facing the trap.
Insert pipe into the trap, push cone washer into trap then the plastic washer and nut tightens to compress rubber cone.

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_142708822.jpg
    IMG_20200419_142708822.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200419_142721253.jpg
    IMG_20200419_142721253.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200419_142907991.jpg
    IMG_20200419_142907991.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200419_142929627.jpg
    IMG_20200419_142929627.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 3
Rmp had explained it well , unscrew the nut from the trap slide it on the pipe through the wall next is either a blue or red ring , next is a black rubber joint ring these should be on the pipe through the wall slide the trap on the pipe and tighten onto the trap and the same onto the waste outlet best of luck . Kop

Reply to Complete novice needs help. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock