Search the forum,

Discuss Communal heating. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

spanner

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had a customer call today about low water pressure and sent a pic of the installation.
Obviously get these by the dozens.
Surprisingly turn up to an old 1970s communal heating system that's pitting and degrading gradually.
Whats this system if anyone recognises it.
Thing is I think it's a one pipe return. But
IMG_20190805_173103.jpg
Questions
Is it possible to isolate the district heating and install own controls,??
Doable??

Yes, I have done a couple & have a 3rd to do next week but it is fraught with danger.
Do they own the property ?
What are the isolation valves like? as they will be the only thing holding back a lot of primary heating water.

I have Megaflo's installed (by others) where the district heating pumps are pushing past the Honeywell 2 ports causing the cylinders to overheat.
I takes over a Bar in pump pressure to do that I found out.

Yes, I have done a couple & have a 3rd to do next week but it is fraught with danger.
Do they own the property ?
What are the isolation valves like? as they will be the only thing holding back a lot of primary heating water.
Never took a pic. Dominator on return "I think"Will do later this week as the initial call was for low water pressure at thd hot cold bath basin outlet and no pressure when shower attachment goes up little above bath height.
To my surprise to find they'd just bought the place and I discover district heating and to operate heating / hot water are two lever valves. A radiator trv attached to control hot water which then when satisfied stops the back around the circuit.
Anyone familiar with this.
As I'm thinking adding additional controls and wiring system won't work. May plug for a while but would need to seek info.
Any help appreciated..

Attachments

• IMG_20190805_173113.jpg
    IMG_20190805_173113.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190805_180625.jpg
    IMG_20190805_180625.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190805_173103.jpg
    IMG_20190805_173103.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
I have Megaflo's installed (by others) where the district heating pumps are pushing past the Honeywell 2 ports causing the cylinders to overheat.
I takes over a Bar in pump pressure to do that I found out.
I'll probably never come across systems like this, but in that scenario would it be better to seperate the systems through a plate heat ex so you don't get the pressure forcing water through the zone valve?

Seen it all the time. Just what's the point of just adding a universal hot cold pump to boost bathroom for showers when this!!
This is a first I've seen on an old district heat system.

I'll probably never come across systems like this, but in that scenario would it be better to seperate the systems through a plate heat ex so you don't get the pressure forcing water through the zone valve?
That was one of my first suggestions but the cost was great, it wasn't just the cost of the HIU but that the places would need to be re-piped. Most of the rad's are 80's style (non convector) sized for 80deg C water, so very small, there would be a resulting loss of temperature with exchange (estimated +10 C).
The contract with the energy supplier is such that they (the supplier) are still responsible for the isolation & rad valves.
All in all pressure controls was the better option, so far, been in 2 years now.

On purchase of the dwelling the buyer was given a handbook of notices and numbers I've been told. Will investigate later on.
As for heating isolation before touching any primaries ill have to see what the measure is before going any further.
What's funny is the tenant is more bothered of the low water pressure in bathroom than the current state of the system. Quite easy to add the booster but again see how far things go 1st

What's funny is the tenant is more bothered of the low water pressure in bathroom than the current state of the system. Quite easy to add the booster but again see how far things go 1st
Nothing unusual there then!!
Personally I would not like to just fit a booster pump to a Harcopak as it will more than likely draw in air.

BTW the TRV is what they call a Tapstat works in a similar way to a remote TRV to control the HW temp with out electrical controls. https://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/sites/all/modules/custom/drayton_catalogue/files/assets/common/downloads/DRAYTON Product Catalogue.pdf

Reply to Communal heating. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock