Search the forum,

Discuss commercial gas certificate ..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafeGasInstall

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
hi all,

just booked my self to do commercial gas training !

and now i am having second thoughts ......

is there really work for commercial engineers ???

is it worth doing it ???

Ive thought about it and Iam sure that I could pass the course but then if somone were to give me a commercial job to do and be told to just get on with it i wouldnt have a clue where to start

Yes, and yes.

as far as i'm concerned anyhow's being as that's all I do!

I know a lad who recruits and he said if I lost my job and walked in his office tomorrow hed get me a job in 2 weeks.. He reckons if i had all my commercials hed get me a job before i walked back out..Ive also thought about doing it

it only takes 15 days and about ÂŁ1500.

i have a firm where i can start training .

but ,i just looked at direct gov .co.uk

and there isn't much demand for commercial engineers ,

the few adds which were there are offering less

then in the domestic part of the game !!!

really put me off!

There is a great demand for commercial stuff but unless you are in with the big boys you will get mainly dross that has been neglected and the owners are too miserable to have anything checked until it breaks.
Commercial gas is a very different ball game from domestic. I have no doubt you could pass the ACS no problem but out in the real world you will sh... yourself to begin with if on your own. Ideally you should try to get some experience shadowing someone, of the stuff you may come across

Ive got my Commercial and until recently was doing work with a big FM company, mainly crap stuff thats been "looked at" over the years and not really been maintained. Some of the kit is quite easy to work on compared to some of the domestic boilers out there now, but normally as Tamz says if you're on your own you'll probably get the crap, the spares ain't cheap and the controls are normally tied into BMS systems which can be another headache.

I do Commercial and really enjoy it. The firm I work for looks after Council buildings (schools, offices, leisure centres etc), which are ok, but the non council breakdown stuff we do like hotels and offices are a nightmare due to being poorly maintained and they dont want to spend money on upgrading their plant.

Most of the old boilers are ok to work on, being pretty simple in their operation.

Controls are a big thing in the commercial game, most big places having BMS systems that can also be a bit of a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to commercial gas certificate ..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock