Search the forum,

Discuss Combustion smell when boiler is working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
We have a 5 year oil warmflow combi boiler. Until last year it was regularly serviced by a qualified engineer. It has been a troublesome boiler with leaks and excessive heat ( I think) onnthe top of the boiler casing.
For a little while now it has begun to smell when the boiler is working.
I think it must be a combustion issue?
We live in open countryside, when the wind blows directly at the exhaust opening, the smell seems worse.
Is there anything I can do to rectify or cure this ongoing problem. I am going to buy a carbon monoxide monitor for the small room it is in. There is a hardwired carbon monoxide detector immediately outside on the ceiling, it has never gone off.
I'll enclose some photos of the boiler.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Peter.

Attachments

• IMG_20191012_174228.jpg
    IMG_20191012_174228.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20191012_174237.jpg
    IMG_20191012_174237.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20191012_174256.jpg
    IMG_20191012_174256.jpg
    671.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20191012_174336.jpg
    IMG_20191012_174336.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 17
Hi kip,
Really appreciate your quick reply.
I will find an OFtec engineer as you suggest.
Thank you
Peter
[automerge]1570953364[/automerge]

[automerge]1570954177[/automerge]
I'm sorry Kop for your name discrepancy.
Peter

Last edited:
As suggested by KoP. You need to get this checked ASAP.
There should be NO combustion fumes/smells in the room.
There are a few ‘model specific’ issues with these. A decent oil engineer
should be able to identify the problem.

And you are better looking for an experienced engineer rather than just oftec. Don't need to be oftec to service and repair oil appliances.

Ask for a recommendation from a neighbour.

Unlikely to be combustion gases. If as you say it seems excessively hot it may require an adjustment on the secondary thermostat.

But as said above a good engineer will help you out.

Reply to Combustion smell when boiler is working in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m at a loss with this one. We renovated a run down house and have lived in it now for about 16 months. We had a new Greenstar 8000 Style 35 installed. Just before Christmas - about 12 months after install - we came home to a funny smell like paint, shoe polish etc - a very chemical smell...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Just looking for a bit of advice really. last week we had our carbon monoxide alarm go off upstairs. We have 2 alarms in the house, the other one (downstairs) gave a leak flow history of 17PPM So I got someone in from British Gas, he did lots of combustion and air quality checks...
Replies
Views
I live on the 3rd floor of a 6-story block of flats. (26 flats in total). During the evening when all people are inside their flats and using their boilers to heat their flats, there is obviously lots of steam coming out of all the different Boiler Flue Vents. if I open my window or go outside...
Replies
Views
Hello, this is my first time on the forum. Three months ago we had a 1000 lt fill. We then noticed a strong oil smell when the boiler was firing up. There was no sign of an oil spill. Contacted our engineer to have the boiler serviced, still the strong oil smell was there. Recommended having new...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock