Search the forum,

Discuss Combined feed and vent with unvented cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Got a job today to take out vented cylinder and replace with unvented indirect cylinder (i’m G3 qualified). Only problem is the system has a strange set up. It’s combined feed and vent S plan system. Heating zone valve is on the flow and pump and hot water zone valve on return. My issue is that just after the feed T’s into the vent, it T’s for the cylinder flow. Seems like a strange set up to me. I plan on putting a zone valve on flow into the cylinder which will make it a customised S plan with two zone valves on the hot water. But I’m thinking this system is going to be a nightmare to refil, any thoughts? Never worked with combined feed and vent. Boiler is an old easicom oil boiler. Heating and hot water works fine now, just rubbish hot pressure as gravity. Have attached some pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 45
  • D80DF604-CABB-4066-84E2-307EE51D4597.jpeg
    D80DF604-CABB-4066-84E2-307EE51D4597.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 48
  • AB85B3D6-3207-4DE5-9EC3-D9374348F912.jpeg
    AB85B3D6-3207-4DE5-9EC3-D9374348F912.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 41
Never seen anything like that before very strange

I'd say that was originally Gravity flow / return to the cylinder, it looks to be 28mm and probably has a 28mm coil.
There's a 22mm vent off the cylinder flow and a 15mm , would have been, feed into the cylinder return at the bottom, is that capped now?

When it was converted to pumped flow / return to the cylinder, the zone valve couldn't be in the flow as that's also the vent.
So it was put in the return, but that was the cold feed, so that was moved onto the vent.

Don't try and fill it too quickly, give the air chance to get up the vent.
Better still, make the ( capped off ? ) old cold feed on the cylinder a fill point.

Last edited:
I'd say that was originally Gravity flow / return to the cylinder, it looks to be 28mm and probably has a 28mm coil.
There's a 22mm vent off the cylinder flow and a 15mm , would have been, feed into the cylinder return at the bottom, is that capped now?

When it was converted to pumped flow / return to the cylinder, the zone valve couldn't be in the flow as that's also the vent.
So it was put in the return, but that was the cold feed, so that was moved onto the vent.

Don't try and fill it too quickly, give the air chance to get up the vent.
Better still, make the ( capped off ? ) old cold feed on the cylinder a fill point.
They are 22mm pipes going in and out of cylinder. The top tapping on cylinder is obviously the flow and the vent from that T is the heating open vent, f and e tank T's into that in 15mm. Return out of cylinder has a T on as well, the 15mm isn't capped off it has a capillary vent on it. Good idea with the fill point, could T in under the capillary vent, but would also have to keep combined feed and vent T on the flow otherwise zone valve will cut the vent off when hot water circuit is closed

Last edited:
I have worked on a combined feed and vent system (which has other issues with poor system design but is now happily hobbling along).

Surprisingly, I filled and drained it a few times when adding some radiators and had no problems filling it. The one I worked on didn't have a vent pipe at all. I would imagine that with your arrangement, once there is enough water in the system to prime the pump, the pump will circulate enough water to shift the air to high points, hopefully to the radiators which can then be bled. I can't really imagine that the pump on return will suffer from airlocking.

The venting system you show with the vent splitting off the feed is not dissimilar to one shown in the IOM for the Thorn Apollo boiler.

Hope you are as lucky as I was!

Got a job today to take out vented cylinder and replace with unvented indirect cylinder (i’m G3 qualified). Only problem is the system has a strange set up. It’s combined feed and vent S plan system. Heating zone valve is on the flow and pump and hot water zone valve on return. My issue is that just after the feed T’s into the vent, it T’s for the cylinder flow. Seems like a strange set up to me. I plan on putting a zone valve on flow into the cylinder which will make it a customised S plan with two zone valves on the hot water. But I’m thinking this system is going to be a nightmare to refil, any thoughts? Never worked with combined feed and vent. Boiler is an old easicom oil boiler. Heating and hot water works fine now, just rubbish hot pressure as gravity. Have attached some pictures

A bit late in posting. I have the combined feed and vent from new (40+ years) and have no problems with re filling. My system is almost identical to your sketch, the only difference is that the HW zone valve is just before the cylinder coil flow entry and I manually latch this open when refilling the system.

Attachments

• Comb F&V.jpg
    Comb F&V.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 23

Reply to Combined feed and vent with unvented cylinder in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m having issues with cold water to multiple outlets. Taps, showers, toilets cold water is fine at the kitchen sink. The hot water system is a Glenhill unvented cylinder. Hot water is fine at all outlets. I assumed the cold outlets not working were from the balanced cold from the...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Good evening, I'd like your opinion on something that is worrying me please: my landlady's plumber replaced the bottom/night element of my 20-year-old unvented cylinder (an Ariston Classico HE STD 150) 5 days ago and I hadn't noticed that it was leaking. He fixed the leak today but now the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I was hoping to replace an old system boiler with a Vaillant Ecotec Exclusive 627 system boiler, thats the one with the diverter valve so no need for zone valves, controling it with a V-Smart and a VR10. I've spoken to Vaillant Tech and they said you cannot use the VR10 with a vented...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock