Search the forum,

Discuss Combination Valve Installed Correctly? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I have an unvented cylinder with a water combination valve before the inlet. It has been installed with the "balanced" cold water feed coming straight off the combination valve and not after it. Is this installed correctly? If not, what are the consequences of this connection? Many thanks!

Valve.jpg
valve2.jpg

yes looks fine to me

Thanks for your responses.

Does this arrangement mean I am getting the reduced 3 bar to both the cylinder and cold water feed?

I've found the following in the cylinder MI and thermostatic shower MI. What arrangement do I need? (Not sure if one MI trump's the other). Thanks again!

IMG_20200828_075559__01.jpg

IMG_20200828_081648__01.jpg

Most likely yes it is balanced

What about the unvented cylinder MI saying that the expansion valve on the combination value shouldn't be used for any other purpose and that a balanced supply should be taken off after the combination valve?

Is an expansion vessel required?

Sorry I'm a bit confused!

If there isn’t an internal bubble then there needs to be an external expansion vessel.
You need to be G3 qualified to work on these cylinders.

There's an internal bubble in the cylinder, but is
If there isn’t an internal bubble then there needs to be an external expansion vessel.
You need to be G3 qualified to work on these cylinders.

There's an air bubble in the cylinder, but is an expansion vessel required on the cold feed to my thermostatic shower after the combination valve? It's currently difficult to turn down the temperature in the shower and I wonder if it's an imbalance in pressure?

There's an internal bubble in the cylinder, but is

There's an air bubble in the cylinder, but is an expansion vessel required on the cold feed to my thermostatic shower after the combination valve? It's currently difficult to turn down the temperature in the shower and I wonder if it's an imbalance in pressure?
No, expansion is only needed when water is heated.

Why didn’t you mention the shower in the first place?

If it won’t go cold it is usually one of three things.

1. cold inlet filter blocked
2. cold non-return valve stuck
3. cartridge failed/needs servicing

Check them in that order.

Why didn’t you mention the shower in the first place?

If it won’t go cold it is usually one of three things.

1. cold inlet filter blocked
2. cold non-return valve stuck
3. cartridge failed/needs servicing

Check them in that order.

thanks, I’ll take a look, although I have had this issue since the shower was originally installed if that sheds light on anything?Turning the temperature down is possible but with some force and the difficulty isn’t consistent on each turn. Increasing the temperature is always mouth and easy. Worth pointing out that the cylinder supplies hot water to a kitchen and two bathrooms while the cold outlet from the combination valve only supplies one of the bathrooms.

where is the cold non-return valve?

thanks again

Last edited:

Reply to Combination Valve Installed Correctly? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock