• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Combi or System boiler advice in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Jarrvo

Hi all,

I'm after a little advice for my elderly parents.
They have a Ideal Classic RS240 that is probably 20 years old which has seen better days and a hot water tank that has started to leak.
It's a 3 bed house with 1 bathroom (shower bath with a pump).
Plus an ensuite which has an electric shower.
Water pressure into the property is good, no figures at the moment.
I assume gas is 15mm into the property.

They are in their 70s and not big hot water users however my mother is constantly cold.

First plumber suggested a system boiler with a cost of £3,700.

Second plumber suggested combi boiler at £2,700.

My parents are baffled what to go for and worried the plumber said the combi would require additional hot water pipes to be run from the combi to the bathroom/ensuite.

To me the system seems overkill for 2 people, would the combi be a better option as it allows the removal of the shower pump and replacement of the electric shower.

Thanks.

Jarv

ChrisB1982

Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
You could ask someone to quote for a heat only boiler, then it might just be a case of swapping the boiler over with minimal changes.

gmartine

Esteemed
Gas Engineer
Sounds like the cylinder needs replacing too which might turn you towards replacing with a combi but you'll have to upgrade the gas supply too.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Also ask can they get all the materials as atm we are on a boiler shortage

Jarrvo

Thanks all for the replies.

The combi is an ideal logic c30 and the system is Worcester greenstar 18ri.

He's also had a quote for a straight replacement, which came in at £3,300.
With a new tank plus trv's and new shower pump.
The other plumber said he didn't recommend a straight replacement due to air locks.

As far as I know they were all available to install in the next few weeks.

I'm leaning towards a combi buty parents don't quite like the idea due to a friend having a few issues with theirs 15 years ago.

Reply to Combi or System boiler advice in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net