Search the forum,

Discuss Combi or condensing boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks, I need to exchange my ancient boiler and at my age 75 I am loathe to go for a combi boiler but considering a condensing boiler. The original boiler has a 15mm gas feed and the meter is the opposite end of my bungalow so would I need to pY for a 22mm supply to be added which would have to run on the outside wall as original pipe runs through wall and up into loft in the kitchen along with the central heating 22mm pipes flow and return to radiators fitted as radial/ring system

Hi folks, I need to exchange my ancient boiler and at my age 75 I am loathe to go for a combi boiler but considering a condensing boiler. The original boiler has a 15mm gas feed and the meter is the opposite end of my bungalow so would I need to pY for a 22mm supply to be added which would have to run on the outside wall as original pipe runs through wall and up into loft in the kitchen along with the central heating 22mm pipes flow and return to radiators fitted as radial/ring system
It would likely need upgrading yes but the size and route advice should be taken from the installer.

Why combi? If you prefer a cylinder and regular boiler or system boiler, they are still an option.
Are you being advised by the 'you need a combi' brigade?

If you go for the same size heat only boiler you might be ok aslong as the original boiler gas pipe was fine

It would likely need upgrading yes but the size and route advice should be taken from the installer.

Why combi? If you prefer a cylinder and regular boiler or system boiler, they are still an option.
Are you being advised by the 'you need a combi' brigade?
No it was me who asked for a combi boiler quote but was surprised at the mark up from what a boiler would cost if I supplied it from Screwfix with the added £2100 for one admittedly one long days work for two which made me think like for like now

A lot of work involved in changing from a boiler and cylinder to a sealed combi system. If you think it’s expensive get more than one quote, you might be surprised at them being similar maybe more.

No it was me who asked for a combi boiler quote but was surprised at the mark up from what a boiler would cost if I supplied it from Screwfix with the added £2100 for one admittedly one long days work for two which made me think like for like now
There is more work than you think in that job. It isn't just a mark up on a boiler.
There will generally be:-
Flush system
Remove boiler, cylinder and tanks.
Install new boiler.
Alterations to pipe work.
Additional controls & Wiring
Alterations to gas pipe work
Installation of condensate drain
Fill, commission and balance system, dose inhibitor.
Brick flue / repair existing hole etc.
Tube, fittings, boiler, flue, controls, filter, disposal of waste and scrap etc.
Provide a 10 year warranty,
This will hopefully be carried out by competent, skilled, qualified and fully insured tradesmen.

A lot of folk look at what they can buy the boiler for and think the same. Before you do go down that road, make sure you can find a tradesman to install materials provided by you. I wouldn't do it and the vast majority of tradesmen I know wouldn't do it either.

If you're thinking of a regular or system boiler and your system is old enough to have gravity hot water, you may need to change more than just the boiler. The new boiler, whatever type, will need to be fully pumped.

it also depends where you live london och, north cheaper, as for (boiler) don t buy crap. ask for advice.

Get three or more quotes for both system designs (a combi with a gas supply upgrade and a regular boiler with a new cylinder). A combi boiler would be ideal assuming you have one bathroom and running the upgraded gas supply reasonably straight forward by the sounds of it.

Last Plumber has covered it but it's extremely unhelpful when potential clients decide to do some on the spot price comparison and decide what my time, experience and qualifications are worth so I rarely if ever take those clients on. You clearly have some knowledge so take the time and diligence to pick a decent engineer and ideally not based on price alone. It's the work you don't see that can make the difference and any good tradesman I know puts a value on that.

I was not proposing to buy a boiler for fitting only how much it would cost if I had to buy it. The pipework from old boiler to connect to original pipework is under 2metres. Had not thought of some of the peripheral work except the 22mm pipe would be about 8m and roughly a couple of hundred quid.

It’s not one day to convert it’s 3 -4 if you decide to go for a flush aswell

I was not proposing to buy a boiler for fitting only how much it would cost if I had to buy it. The pipework from old boiler to connect to original pipework is under 2metres. Had not thought of some of the peripheral work except the 22mm pipe would be about 8m and roughly a couple of hundred quid.

The guy fitting it is in business so there will be mark. Not a very good business model selling things out at cost.

By all means get some written quotes and find out exactly what is proposed. I agree (depending on location) £600 each person for a day's work is a lot of money (even if there are some costs to be covered form that) and be warned that some installers will chuck in a boiler in a day and call it task complete. You do need to know what sort of outcome you are going to get for the money.

On the other hand, if you have someone doing the quality of installation Last Plumber is proposing ("flush system", done properly, could easily be 10 hours of work, and possibly for 2 people even), £1200 starts to seem far more reasonable, especially when you consider that a haircut costs from £60 - £100 per hour.

I would be 4 or 5 days for a conversion to combi.
Have you allowed for all the other items required or just a boiler?
Flue, filter, chemicals, shock arrestor, lime fighter, boiler plus controls, condensate pipework/pump, pipe, fittings waste disposal, screws, fixings, flux, solder etc etc.

At the age of 75 you may be entitled to some help with the cost from a government backed scheme to? Costs on a full system upgrade vary across the country but it's certainly not 1 days work to do it properly. Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210922-200917.png
    Screenshot_20210922-200917.png
    324.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210922-200907.png
    Screenshot_20210922-200907.png
    221.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210922-200826.png
    Screenshot_20210922-200826.png
    262.6 KB · Views: 2

Reply to Combi or condensing boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock