From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Combi + Delayed Hot Water Options? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

just had a Baxi Duotec 28 installed in a bungalow. Seems fine.

The distance between the boiler in the kitchen and and the bathroom is about 20 feet, though I guess the pipes go up into the loft, etc. It takes about 30-40 seconds and a lot of water until it starts to get hot. I supposed there's cold water in the pipe as well.

I just wondered what the best course of action would be to give more "instant" hot water. I've seen these tankless water heaters that can go under a sink (maybe in a vanity unit). Plumber says they're ok but was interested in other points of view.

Thanks,
Ed.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
No waste of time

Does your boiler have a pre heat option?

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Are tankless heaters really a waste of time? I've seen good reviews.
When you have a combi yes

The biggest time delay is the boiler starting and heating the water 10-20 seconds

Pre heat keeps the water hot so as soon as the tap is open you should have within 10-15 seconds hot water, your going to have to draw the cold water out of the hot pipe first

Do you know if the pipes are insulted in the loft

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Advent Win
Yes sorry its the typical combi problem , hopefully the pipes are insulated, it maybe worth getting a thicker insulation

Try not opening the tap fully, if you open it say a quarter of a turn then your giving the boiler a chance to heat the water. If you open it fully then the water is flowing through the boiler too quickly and is not able to heat it sufficiently.

This is one of the main complaints with combis, mainly because people say they cant run a warm bath, but if you reduce the flow rate at the tap (open halfway/quarter turn) then you will find that the the water will start to heat well (slowly.. but toasted)

Like ShaunCorbs said, if you look at the boiler instructions then it will tell you how to put it on a preheat mode, meaning that when you open the tap the water should be at least be warm instantly rather than waiting for longer periods :)

O

Old Account

Is there it something like a combi smart/ flowsaver . I've installed them ones and was quite impressed. It helps to reduce the wastage of water .

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Advent Win
This is what you mean Ronny combi save cost about £50 but can save that and more per year . cheers kop

Screenshot_2017-11-18-14-11-55.png

Screenshot_2017-11-18-14-12-02.png

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Seen a lot fail after a few years

Test4Less - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Really?
So for now I am lucky. would you not recommend installing them ?
I wouldn't no seen too many people having problems 2-5 years down the line with the sensing device sticking

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Advent Win
The op asked for options shaun thats one that is proven to work the duo tec has no pre heat . Ariston unvented under sink water heater is another if you want point of use but only 10 litres so abit limited , at some point everything fails that is what keeps us in bissness i wouldnt have a problem fitting one . cheers kop

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
The op asked for options shaun thats one that is proven to work the duo tec has no pre heat . Ariston unvented under sink water heater is another if you want point of use but only 10 litres so abit limited , at some point everything fails that is what keeps us in bissness i wouldnt have a problem fitting one . cheers kop
Could you fit a src on a duo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi + Delayed Hot Water Options? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Power Shower Booster - Official PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Wetroom Store - PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
Test4Less PlumbersForums.net Sponsor
uHeat Forum Sponsor - PlumbersForums.net
Plumbing Advice - Find Plumbers Jobs
Bulk Workwear - Workwear Sponsor for Plumbers Forums
Corgi Direct - Plumbers Forums Sponsor