Search the forum,

Discuss combi boiler not kicking in in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
i'm relatively new to the world of plumbing and bathroom fitting.
I've recently fitted a bathroom and the new basin tap (Bristan Orta Mixer) wont kick in the boiler when the hot is turned on. The new bath mixer and the existing kitchen tap work fine although the hot has to be turned fully on to kick the boiler in.
Is this likely to be a flow issue as the pressure in the new basin tap is pretty poor. I've not changed any of the existing pipework, I've used full bore isolating valves and have ensured that the tap tails aren't twisted or kinked. I also dismantled the tap and made sure the filters were clear.
Or could it be an issue with the boiler?
cheers

Sounds like a boiler problem to me if you need to open the hot fully in the other taps to get it to fire, what’s the cold flow rate like?

Have you checked that you opened the stopcock fully? As everyone else, check your flow rates.

Try it without the spout insert see if it works as some do really restrict the flow
So I removed the spout insert and the water came gushing out and the boiler kicked in!! But water now splashes all over the bathroom I’ve seen online you can get an adjustable aerator spout insert, are these any good? Or am I just going to get the same problems of either too low flow or water splashing everywhere?

Sounds like a boiler problem to me if you need to open the hot fully in the other taps to get it to fire, what’s the cold flow rate like?
Yes, I was thinking the same. The cold flow is good on the kitchen tap. It’s a messed up system though because the colds in the bathroom are tank fed.

You need to install check valve. The reason why the boiler doesn't "kick in" is because not enough water (hot leg) is flowing to activate the flow switch and its due to the fact cold water is pushing hot water inside the body of the mixer as cold water has more pressure , installing a nrv ideally on both hot and cold under the basin should solve your problem

Last edited:
You need to install check valve. The reason why the boiler doesn't "kick in" is because not enough water (hot leg) is flowing to activate the flow switch and its due to the fact cold water is pushing hot water inside the body of the mixer as cold water has more pressure , installing a nrv ideally on both hot and cold under the basin should solve your problem

Sorry, that holds no weight. There’s millions of mixer taps on combi’s with no check valves that operate the boiler fine.

ALSO a check valve will only slow the flow down further. The combi will need a certain amount of flow through it to activate it and fire it up. If it's a fairly old boiler with a diaphragm that detects flow, as these get old/scaled up they need more and more flow to kick in. Sorting that out would be a job for a gas safe engineer though. Or maybe the flow is terrible everywhere and you're fighting a losing battle.

Thanks for all of your help on this matter. Eventually I discovered that Bristan supply different spout outlets for their taps. The one supplied with this tap was the lowest flow available so I changed it to the highest flow possible and it worked! The flow rate was increased considerably and the boiler now fires up.

Yes this is becoming common, i expect they have boxes to tick saying they have saved the planet - can i have some money please.

I have dismantled an aerator recently to find four screening layers stacked up, I binned all except one and even had to "adjust" the hole sizes on that one to get a reasonable flow and flow pattern from a gravity system. I did point out that they had bought the wrong tap - but apparently they liked the look of it, since when did they become a fashion accessory over function?

Reply to combi boiler not kicking in in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock