Search the forum,

Discuss Combi boiler loosing pressure fast in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, back again with yet another question about my grant vortex combi boiler 😩

Sorted all previous problems and was running sweet until recently… now it’s loosing pressure really quick, from 1.5 bar down to 0 in a couple of hours (even when on standby neither hot water or central heating selected).

There are no leaks internally in the house as would be flooded by now with the amount I’ve repressurised and haven’t used CH in a few weeks. Definitely no leaks inside the boiler on joints, valves, prv etc… also no excess leaking from the condensation pipe.

There is a damp patch surrounding boiler on the concrete base it’s sat on, could it be a possible split/corroded water tank? Though there does seem to be droplets on the boiler lid, suggesting maybe condensation from inside?

The only other thing I can think of is the expansion vessel, but wouldn’t this cause pressure to increase when heating up? It’s not leaking water through the valve… the pressure loss is within 2 hours from 1.5 bar to 0.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Which model grant? and age?
Have you isolated heating from boiler? If you have a vortex pro you can turn of heating return on boiler (blue handle on valve) and isolate flow by turning of pump valves on heating pump.
Tho in truth the damp patch under boiler probably indicates a leak on hex or more probably heat store tank.
Worthwhile checking expansion vessel pressure and be absolutely certain prv is not passing.

thanks for the reply. It’s a grant vortex 26. It’s about 12 years old, so getting on now it was in the house when I bought it. But has been maintained and also pretty much every part changed on it recently by myself.

The CH has been isolated and still dropping pressure. But doesn’t look like a huge amount of water underneath just a damp patch, also some droplets on the lid and insulation so have removed and left open today to see if it dries up and rule out condensation. As I remember last summer was a damp patch but never lost pressure.

I assume store tank would be new boiler time?

Would expansion vessel cause such a fast drop in pressure?

Thanks again

If expansion vessel needs to be re pressurized /replaced yes it can dump pressure very quickly through prv.
If heat store / boiler is leaking yes new boiler time as I know Grant consider it not viable to change.

If expansion vessel needs to be re pressurized /replaced yes it can dump pressure very quickly through prv.
If heat store / boiler is leaking yes new boiler time as I know Grant consider it not viable to change.
It’s definitely not dumping through the prv or condensator pipe, though the expansion vessel is loosing pressure also but not passing water. Just trying to rule one out.

Are the heat stores known to leak? It doesn’t look like a huge amount of water coming out what I would expect from the tank. I have attached a pic.
503129F6-65F4-4724-AFCE-34C360BB9936.jpeg

I would bet that's a leaker
Bottom of heat store
Don't see that many on Grant's but not unknown.
When you replace make sure system is properly flushed and a decent system filter fitted (easily fitted in space next to condensate trap)

Reply to Combi boiler loosing pressure fast in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi, Boiler is losing pressure, from 1.5 bar to 0 bar in about 4 hours. Have checked all rads and seem to be fine, no water out external prv pipe. If the heat exchanger is faulty what do I need to look for? There is a constant run of water from the condensate pipe when heating on but not sure...
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable After i re-pressurize to 1.5 bar, using tap is ok without problem. but when turn on the central heating, the pressure rises over 2 and the error code 117 showing water pressure high After i did the bleeding and re-pressurize to 1.3 bar, the heating is...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant near me but they all need to ring Firebird who are closed till next week. I wonder if anyone can help me find this part please? It's a pressure sensor...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock