Search the forum,

Discuss Combi boiler issue or Shower? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
Yesterday my shower in the bathroom started to run cold. It started fine but then ran cold...then got warm again before running cold again. This continued and then just ran cold. Other taps ran hot as usual so thought it could be the shower/cartridge. Instead of fiddling with manufacturers etc I went and bought a middle of the road new shower (thermostatic bar) and fitted. Then tested and seemed okay. Showered this morning and similar problem...though not as frequently. Whilst the wife showered I watched the combi boiler. It fired up when hot water was called, it ran for about a minute and then stopped. About a minute later it fired up again for hot water again. This then continued. As said, all the other hot taps call for demand and the boiler fires up and stays fired up until I turn the tap off. Boiler is a Baxi Platinum 28HE. Pressure is good (between 1 and 1.5 bar cold)
Any ideas??

Thanks for your advice KOP, would this only affect the shower
Partially blocked plate heat exchanger is the most likely culprit you will need a GSI to sort it out its a easy fix . Kop

Thanks for the advice KOP, would this only affect the shower? Not doubting your vast knowledge but why only the shower? As mentioned, the other hot taps work fine with the boiler?? Anyway, will try and get an engineer out. Thanks again, Pete.

It's quite possible as you are restricting the amount of hotwater being used when mixing the shower supplies, if the plate heat can't absorb and exchange the heat being produced by the boiler then it will reach its highest temperature and shut down , you can simulate the fault at a hotwater tap by partially closing it, my advice is get the boiler drained the plate heat exchanger removed and throughly cleaned it can then replaced, I power flush them through with a pressure washer it's amazing how much debris can accumulate in there . Regards kop

I think on this model that once the flow switch sees a flow > 2 LPM that you will get hot water, as suggested above maybe worth throttling in a hot tap until heating stops and then measure it to get the actual minimum flow rate.

Reply to Combi boiler issue or Shower? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Hope you can help We have a Gloworm Ultracom 38CXI combi boiler. During the Summer the taps and mixer shower run hot water consistently hot for as long as need be, but now during the Winter when the radiators are on the taps and mixer shower will run hot for only a few minutes and...
Replies
Views
Hello! Im Martyn Im new here and have joined for some advice on a couple of things. Ive got an issue with a Mira mixer shower that has increasingly become harder to operate. The shower was installed before I moved into the house. Basically what happens is that I turn the shower on so there's...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock